All the gear, but a bad attitude

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I reckon some’ll shoot me down for this, but sod it.

Sadly had proof there’s idiot cyclists out there tonight.

Sheffield, Rutland Road. It’s a long straight hill. The sort that means you’ll get your head down and spin for a good couple of minutes. But today I travelled to work in the cage.

16:30 and I’m off home. First tho’ I have to cross Rutland Rd, heading downhill. Its also got the distinction of being a rather busy thorofare. The traffic uphill is regularly slow, you tend to rely on someone letting you out.

So tonight I get ‘flashed’ by a cement wagon, who stops 1-2 car lengths short of the junction. I edge out into the first lane of traffic, spotting the cyclist coming from the left. I wait and look, so as to be able to see and be seen by anyone attempting to overtake the wagon to my right.

I then look left to see if a space is imminent or if someones going to flash to let me in there.

The first car is about 20 yards behind the cyclist. But this fluorescent clad fool is sat up on his hybrid/flatbar roady. He’s got one hand on the bars and is spending 20-30’ frantically giving the wagon driver the ‘d1ckhead’ gesture, with his right arm.

Great ambassador. He’s just given a queue of traffic a great example.

His flash only indicates he’s seen me, which was confirmed by eye. A sensible driver would do as I do and check all parts of the carriageway they want to cross/enter. Theres no rush. The guy was doing 20-25mph downhill, if I had been the type of prat that pulled straight out he’d have been better off with his hand somewhere near his brake.

Some people just don’t seem able to do anything without being confrontational.

bonj2

can't see what you did wrong, why'd you get shot down? does seem a bit confrontational (and dangerous) of the cyclist.

But I would have thought if he was going "20-25mph" at the bit where neepsend lane joins then he probably had already been doing at least some braking:excl: I know there's a bit of flat after the bottom of the hill before he'd have got to the junction where you were but not that much...

but it is a good hill to go down when it's not busy... i've done *ahem*-ty nine miles an hour down it on my old carrera mtb

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
20-25 was a low estimate. Its basically near 'The Foresters', he'd have to hit the anchors for the standing traffic 50 yards on, under the bridge.

He wasn't having a go at me, but the wagon driver for letting me out. No need. At least the flash warns him someones in the junction.

Tynan

Veteran
he might have been hit in a scenario like that in the past, far to may drivers seem to think that being flashed out means they can go

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
he might have been hit in a scenario like that in the past, far to may drivers seem to think that being flashed out means they can go

Yeah, but thats the fault of the one crossing, not the 'flasher'. When traffics near standing (as it usually is here) its the only way you'll get out. In fact its my usual way out on the bike as well.

Guess you had to see this guy. He just came across as a nutter

Top Bottom