Allegra. My 1989 Bianchi Mondiale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
20200815_194240.jpg

Mid project... basically get the Bianchi up and running on its new wheels and groupset before pulling apart in the autumn for the frame mods, the front end and cockpit mods and fresh but pretty similar paint. She is an amazing ride given I'm used to Bromptons but nothing like as agile...

Gunk

Guru
Bless it, that deserves a nice vintage Campagnolo super record 10 speed groupset, super record hubs and Mavic open pro rims, not those bling modern aero things :wacko:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I do worry about you

You're not the only one :laugh:

Seriously though, as a bike that's got some real potential - great frame geometry and quality steel tubing for a smooth but sharp ride coupled with the stiffness and aero of those wheels... I imagine it rides rather nicely :okay: Looking forward to watching this one evolve :becool:

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Bless it, that deserves a nice vintage Campagnolo super record 10 speed groupset, super record hubs and Mavic open pro rims, not those bling modern aero things :wacko:
You'll hate what I've got planned for it over the winter.... going to have the frame stripped, the cable guide and shifter braze-ons removed, internal cable guides fitted, along with external cups brazed on (I can make the cups, the shop doing the work will braze them on) to allow the use of 1 1/8 Campag Hiddenset headset bearings and a set of Columbus Tusk Air carbon forks, the really stupidly aero ones that flair towards the dropouts... the saddle, post and cages are swapping out for carbon Cinelli Ram2, the bars for a set of Cinelli Nerves and the stem for a Look Ergo. She's going to get a repaint but still in the Argentin colourset though I might bling it up, frame decals will be going to black, and I've got a set of black Spinaci to go on.... looking for a Cinelli Tom Thumb but I might just machine one up myself..... why?... because that's what I want... ANyway, she's lovely to ride, and I'm so used to my Brompton's somewhat individual definition of directional stability that even in fairly brisk and gusty winds I don't really find the deep rims to be any real problem.... Oh, I might get the rims refinished to have big Zipp logos on them in colour-matched Celeste.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Managed my longest ride in years on her yesterday, from Swindon to Abingdon via the backroads with a bikepacking saddlebag full of allotment grown potatoes for my mum, then onto Oxford to see my brother and home via Witney. Got a puncture three houses before mine but other than that she was flawless. Legs aren't happy with me today mind....

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
20200926_144233_compress54.jpg
This is on the way to go camping with some friends at the weekend. Due to predicted temperatures and the requirement to go out for dinner with them wearing civilised clothes I had to add a pair of 5 litre podsacs and they proved to be a bit of a pain to accomodate, I didn't fancy attaching to the forks for starters, but rigging them off the saddlepack was a complicated process to get right. Next time its going to be that chilly I'm taking the Brompton, it will carry twice what the Bianchi will with a ton of room to spare. Good points were it was a decent run out for my OEX Phoxx 1v2 tent. Bit cramped, but big enough for me, room to keep the bags under cover in a vestibule that isn't the entrance. Also without the stuff required for cold and going for civilised meal I would have enough space in the packs without the Podsacs for a couple of days in just the four basic bags (frame, toptube, saddle and handlebar) given that I've added some Ortlieb accessory pocket mounts to put a bottle cage and a small pocket on the saddlebag and a big pocket on the handlebar pack. I do need a better seat solution than my stool, it's pretty light but a bit bulky, will also investigate getting a down ultralight sleeping bag... my 20-year old Snugpak works well but it's a bit bulky compared to what you can get now. It's all of that aux pocket on the front... one other thing I learned is route researching... Google maps had me doing five miles of the Ridgeway gravel track... on a roadbike with 90psi in its 25mm Vittoria Corsas... had to push a couple of sections... plus side was swapping to Shimano 505 spd pedals meant I was wearing MTB shoes, not road cleats so the pushing wasn't that bad, but definitely not her natural habitat... but all in all, something I'll definitely be doing again and a good learning experience.

Top Bottom