Alloy Chain Ring for SR chainset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
There’s no guarantee that a s/h chainring will mesh with the chain/block combo you have due to wear.

Once you go 7 speed and below most stuff works fine. You can basically just mix and match

Ajax Bay

Guru
"Use a crankset that you can get sensibly priced rings for, then."
I assume that you often mix up helpful with rude.
If you review my two posts, they are pretty weighted on the 'helpful' side imo. And you seem to have an extraordinarily low 'rude' threshold. Do you think @Gunk is being rude with his sensible observation?

Ajax Bay

Guru
There’s no guarantee that a s/h chainring will mesh with the chain/block combo you have due to wear.
Nothing in life is guaranteed, but I suggest there's every chance a used chainring will be fine. How will it not 'mesh' exactly? Only if the ring is worn out will there be a problem (any speed) and one can tell by looking at the teeth profiles in an image (say in an advert) if that is the case.
Edit: I see you might mean that the ring will be too 'wide' for the chain. Unlikely in practice. I have just measured an SR Apex chainring of similar vintage to the OP's crankset and the width of the tooth base is the same as both some Campagnolo rings (?2000) 135mm BCD and a Shimano 9 speed ring.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have that same chainset on the fixed, though I run ⅛" rings. Spa Cycles have suitable TA rings listed.

Top Bottom