Alloy wheels; how long do they last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Hi all, missed you! xxx

Will go and post news and stuff in correct places = cafe.

To get back on topic, the rim I've just killed had wear indicators but it wore away either side of the indicator more than the area of the indicator leaving it proud so the indication of the wear was not so easily identifiable.

VamP

Banned
Might do but not IME; okay its not exhaustive but I've worn out 4 rims and they've all been rear. More muck etc collect on the rear wheel also that might also be a factor :wacko:

I actually genuinely don't know - I had it in my head that front wear would be more - but that's a lot of empirical evidence suggesting the rears wear more...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have managed to wear out blocks in a single muddy CX race, so I do find that explanation fairly plausible...

Dirty rim's (or brake blocks) wearing the rim faster than a clean rim (or brake block) is a given, I just don't buy that the spray from the front wheel is dumping enough shoot on the back wheel to explain the wear rate differential between front and rear.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Dirty rim's (or brake blocks) wearing the rim faster than a clean rim (or brake block) is a given, I just don't buy that the spray from the front wheel is dumping enough s*** on the back wheel to explain the wear rate differential between front and rear.
Seems reasonable to me. Here are a couple of pics of my knockabout bike after a couple of recent mucky rides:

DSC00700.JPG

DSC00701.JPG

Notice how much more dirt and grit there is on the back compared to the front.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, I am well aware of where the muck ends up on a bike (I ride about 200 miles a week in the Cheshire lanes) but did it come from the front wheel?

Hardly anything coming off your front wheel with that flap will hit the back wheel, at least not much more than the back wheel will be picking up itself anyway.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, I am well aware of where the muck ends up on a bike (I ride about 200 miles a week in the Cheshire lanes) but did it come from the front wheel?

Hardly anything coming off your front wheel with that flap will hit the back wheel, at least not much more than the back wheel will be picking up itself anyway.
Even with the mudflap there is a surprising amount of spray that hits the cranks and my feet from the front wheel, so the back wheel will still be in a mist of water, mud and grit.

I don't have any better explanation of why the rear wheel should get so much more muddy but am open to suggestions.

VamP

Banned
Even with the mudflap there is a surprising amount of spray that hits the cranks and my feet from the front wheel, so the back wheel will still be in a mist of water, mud and grit.

I don't have any better explanation of why the rear wheel should get so much more muddy but am open to suggestions.

I don't suppose it matters where the extra crap comes from, but the rear is always muddier, that's for sure.

Top Bottom