Alloy wheels; how long do they last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
My alloys are quite possibly older than I am; I got them when a friend was chucking them out and they have flat bits on them were someone (not me!) has thumped them up and down kerbs and (the previous owner) used them to hack around the local reservoir MTB track. A a guess I've had about 1500 miles out of them in the last four months since getting them. They are now very difficult to keep clean and the braking surface has more groves than a 78 and they're deeper than the tracks on a fisher price plastic 7".

I break a spoke (or two) every few weeks because I guess the spokes are getting metal fatigue.

Yes, I'm planning replacements, Rigida Flight rims apparently (this is a single speed).

What was the original question? I kinda went off on one then.

longers

Legendary Member
The rim's no use now :laugh: ! How are you ?
Keeping very busy mate.
zve6tc.jpg

(new bar tape this morning)

It'd be good to see you somewhere sometime!

Christopher

Über Member
Keeping very busy mate.
zve6tc.jpg

(new bar tape this morning)

It'd be good to see you somewhere sometime!
Jousting innit? Avvvvvanti!
longers how the devil ARE you? Great to see you here again! We must get @potsy to organise a ride in that Manchester somewheres...

For the OP: You are correct about the wear groove. Once it disappears the manufacturer would like you to replace the rim. HoweverI think the limits are a bit conservative, and you can a bit further than they indicate. I don't usually replace a rim until the rim starts to bulge outwards and foul the brake blocks. There are lots of stories of wheels exploding due to rim wear but I haven't had that yet, just the bending of what's left of the rim.

VamP

Banned
Big skidders

even less wear then, as the skidding wheel ain't rubbing against the blocks

Top Bottom