Almost got taken out!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I work from home, so strictly don't commute, but I do go out for a ride every lunchtime for about 1-2hrs. Anyway today's little outing almost resulted in me under a car!!!

I was here in Birmingham:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...id=CVFEiAwnJXlG8qEXeXjlKA&cbp=11,3.51,,0,9.94

Going northbound in the left-hand lane (uphill towards the round-a-bout). My intention was to go straight on over towards the university and not take the filter lane towards Quinton. As it was slightly uphill I was giving it some beans and doing about 22mph. I was also in Primary as I've had close calls here before.

Suddenly this Maroon fiesta come lazily past me and without indication (when it was directly parallel to me) pulls across into me to go down the left filter lane. I had no-where to go but luckily a combination of hard breaking (thank you Shimano for your excellent ultegra brakes!!) and a wee bit of room on my inside, meant I didn't crash, just hit the side of the car with my arm.

Driver didn't stop and carried on like nothing had happened. So now my blood is boiling, so I put the hammer down and race off down the road after them. That stretch is downhill and usually busy, so I caught up in no time. I indicated for the driver (an old woman) to pull over, which she completely ignored. So I pulled in front of her once the traffic had slowed and gave her a piece of my mind.

I think I might have scared her, as by this point I was really angry. She professed not to have seen me, but how she didn't is beyond me as she was originally in the righthand lane behind me before coming across into me?

Anyway I'm none worse for wear, but that's certainly the closest call I've had yet!!

I'm sure she's a lovely lady really, and I did feel a bit bad for yelling at her, but some people really shouldn't have a driving license!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Ow - not nice.
I know that roundabout well, but always head on down the hill - never have a temptation to go on that roundabout.

There is a cycle lane to the left. I've never used it, and never managed to work out how I can use it - there appears to be no sensible method of getting on or off it without getting tangled up with other traffic.

BSRU

A Human Being
"I did not see you" means "I was not paying attention" or " I'm blind".
Although I think retesting at regular intervals is probably never going to happen, although a good earner for the government, I do think regular eye tests should be done for all drivers in order to keep their license.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The good thing about going across that roundabout is that the new bypass on the other side is great for speeding down to the other side of selly. I can get 32+mph all the way to the lights at the far end, and the road, being new, is dead smooth.

sabian92

Über Member
People have criticised me on here that me saying old people shouldn't be allowed to drive, but this is exactly why. "I didn't see you" with old people usually means "I can't see you because I can't see past the end of my own bonnet".

Glad you're OK though.

RaRa

"I did not see you" means "I was not paying attention" or " I'm blind".
Although I think retesting at regular intervals is probably never going to happen, although a good earner for the government, I do think regular eye tests should be done for all drivers in order to keep their license.

When I lived in the states it was compulsory for everyone to have a sight check once every 5 yrs. I can't quite remember how much it was but it wasn't a huge amount (under 15 dollars I think) and I would like it done here for everyone with a license. If they could add a reaction test to them that would be even better.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
It is worrying - my grandad stopped driving when he thought his eyesight wasn't too good any more - and, upon testing him the week after, his macular degeneration was found to be so bad that he was actually blind....

I'm always very wary now if I spot an elderly driver when I'm cycling!

sabian92

Über Member
I'm always very wary now if I spot an elderly driver when I'm cycling!

You should be wary of elderly people when doing anything.....

;)

I was not commuting but the road I was on is part of my of my commute, anyway I was coming upto a roundabout taking the 3rd exit.
I signaled I was turning left @ the exit I was taking.
A car that was coming upto the roundabout he didn't slow down.
He pulled out in front of me he hadn't looked, I was able to avoid the collision, but was very shaken.
I pulled over to calm down

Top Bottom