Looking for inspiration for grungy almost unstealable bikes - Show me the pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I was back in Reading last June, spotted this, rescued from the Kennet
1707621834841.jpeg

A quick wipe of the saddle and grips, and reckon it would make a good deterrent to any pesky tea leaf :laugh:

OP
OP
B

That's impressive but the bike still looks reasonable value based on the welds and overall components. I feel the best grungy unappealing bike should look awful but still be very low value and personally I wouldn't put too much work into it because there is still the small chance it would be stolen. You might be able to reduce the chance of your bike being stolen from 10% in a year to 0.2% or less but there is still that chance. It's playing the probability game and also means if it is stolen it is a very low financial loss for yourself. It's better to have a bike off freecycle with extremely low chance of being stolen than a £2k bike with a 20% chance of being stolen I think.

biketrailerguy

If I wanted to increase the grungy look of my bike (a few posts above) I'd mismatch the following:
Cranks
Pedals
Wheels (already done) - if spokes also mismatch / shiny / black - even better
Mudguards (already done)
Handlebar grips
Change bell for dog's squeaky toy - more outrageous the better imo - have just put one on my Ebike.
Rubbish but subtle paint job - but not matt black or pink - just screams overpainting to me. (check how experienced model makers 'weather' their models)
Kids bike reflectors on spokes
Battered cardboard box on top of an old but serviceable rack - tied down with string.
Change handlebar (with one of same spec) for one that's visibly cosmetically challenged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom