Almost picked up my new Dahon Jack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

But didn't! After all the admin of picking up a new bike I thought I'd ask the salesman to show me the fold again given I'd read about the problem with the hinges of the bike (for those who don't know it's a 26" wheel folding bike). Well he couldn't even open the hinge bracket. It went back to the workshop and between the assistant and the mechanic they just managed to open it.

There was no way I could open or close it and certainly not on a crowded commuter train/platform. They said it would loosen with use! I declined to take the bike.

The dealer will be contacting Dahon on Monday about the problem. I've heard that the 2009 hinges are better. They may have to fit a new hinge. Othersiwe I'll just order another bike until the hinge works properly.

Anybody else had this problem? I have a Brompton at the moment and was hoping to "upgrade" (maybe not then!) to a more substantial model for the mileage I do.

In a normal world I'd never pick such a bike for my rail/ride commute but the railways have banned ordinary bike carriage in the rush hour hence such compromises.:laugh:

If you are not happy with it take it back as the hinge is 'not fit for purpose' and get them to give you your money back. As it will not get any better with use.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Depending on how much you paid for it, you can get a Cadenza for £341 which has a much better folding mechanism (it's the lockjaw). I normally leave the bars on unless the train's very crowded.
I've been using mine on the train every day since Christmas without a problem.
Had to replace the back wheel due to poor spoke design, but other than that a great bike.
Came complete with race blades which saved a few quid, Avid brakes are great and Tiagra mech very smooth.
Conti tyres seem very robust and give good grip.

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

I got a complete replacement bike from the LBS and now the hinge works normally. I was grounded today - in the garage fitting lights etc - coz it rained all day, groan:angry: Will give it a test ride tomorrow if it stays dry. I didn't go for the Cadenza because I thought that over time the allen key fold may possibly start to wear together with the extra time getting the allen key out to do the necessary on the platform in a hurry plus the gear ratios were higher than I needed for my hilly commute. I've opted for a 36 tooth chain wheel as I'll have panniers filled with stuff to get up some hills locally. The beast is looking ready to go in the garage!

Top Bottom