Alston before the winter closes in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicykell

Sorry for not being involved in the site for a while, but finally achieved a 52 run to Alston (1400 ft above sea level) today. I started cycling a year ago and while I am preaching to the converted here, want to share my enthusiasm and the joy that I derive from cycling at the age of 66. My legs ache and I suspect that my bum resembles a baboons, but if there was a drug that gives you the buzz that cycling can give you the state would ban it.

Hope you like the pics

Attachments

• alston.jpg
    alston.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 91
  • alston1.jpg
    alston1.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 92
  • alston2.jpg
    alston2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 91
  • alston3.jpg
    alston3.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 92

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Well done you, has been a glorious day for it. Lovely pics too. :bravo:

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

Hi Shaun, yes it was grey and dour until just past Hallbankgate then the sun broke through and shone all the way until Renwick on the way back. A brilliant day, spoiled only by the insane race track that is the A686 now. Terrifying watching people taking heart stopping adrenalin fuelled risks to prove….I don't know what they wanted to prove. The rest of the ride was glorious.

Do you think it's worth writing to the Herald about the behaviour of people on the road between Alston and Hartside? Or will it just be another whingeing old fart moaning away?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Hi Shaun, yes it was grey and dour until just past Hallbankgate then the sun broke through and shone all the way until Renwick on the way back. A brilliant day, spoiled only by the insane race track that is the A686 now. Terrifying watching people taking heart stopping adrenalin fuelled risks to prove….I don't know what they wanted to prove. The rest of the ride was glorious.

Do you think it's worth writing to the Herald about the behaviour of people on the road between Alston and Hartside? Or will it just be another whingeing old fart moaning away?

If people don't complain nothing ever gets done, write to the paper, chances are someone from your local nick will read it and you never know, it might just bring about some action from plod. Mobile speed detector vans or something.

Hyslop

Veteran
Sorry for not being involved in the site for a while, but finally achieved a 52 run to Alston (1400 ft above sea level) today. I started cycling a year ago and while I am preaching to the converted here, want to share my enthusiasm and the joy that I derive from cycling at the age of 66. My legs ache and I suspect that my bum resembles a baboons, but if there was a drug that gives you the buzz that cycling can give you the state would ban it.

Hope you like the pics
Lovely,you do justice to the place-Good innit?By the way,whos been to Palace lately then?^_^

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

Lovely,you do justice to the place-Good innit?By the way,whos been to Palace lately then?^_^
Haven't been in for a while, though I keep meaning to. Wore Mike down over a period of 10 days and got the Look 566 at a decent price, though along with my keyboards and guitars, if I die tomorrow please don't let my wife sell them for what I told her I'd paid for them….

midlife

Guru
Haven't been in for a while, though I keep meaning to. Wore Mike down over a period of 10 days and got the Look 566 at a decent price, though along with my keyboards and guitars, if I die tomorrow please don't let my wife sell them for what I told her I'd paid for them….

Mike-the-Bike gave a discount! Blimey, :smile:.

Shaun

Hyslop

Veteran
Good man:okay:.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I saw speed cameras (mobile) when I drove along it a few weeks ago so I guess they are on it. That road gets mentioned in car/bike mags and forums as one to whizz along!

This is in your neck of the woods next year - might be a good ride for you.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=2108

Good ride btw and nice pic's.

Top Bottom