altered my commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
which ones? i'm in macc but grew up in wilmslow. the king's arms is a bit of a pain in the arse to negotiate right enough.

My least favourite is the one just before the left turn (coming from the Handforth direction) to Wilmslow Station. The road leading up to it is a steep descent, without room for cars to pass safely (so a few, inevitably, pass unsafely). It then widens to form two lanes going to the roundabout, meaning any doughnut with a mind to can swing around and then back in front of you, regardless of your road position.

In common with all the roundabouts taking people from the Wilmslow Road to the bypass (or vice versa), traffic is too fast, and doesn't mind pulling in front of bikes if the mood takes the driver. Not nice.

Tynan

Veteran
they have retimed them, that's entirely the problem

I used to go fro North London to South round all the classics like Elephant and Castle, I've no problem with them but I think in the last few years discipline on roundabouts has got worse and worse, unecessary risk I think if there's an alternative, I was doing Crokked Billet which is a monster but the slight back road way cuts it out and is a gnats shorter, done

Maz

Guru
HLaB said:
When I bought my flat I tried out different routes the shortest was via the Crewe Toll rbt, didn't fancy it the couple of time I went through it. I wanted to take the 3rd exit the majority of traffic takes the 2nd. I have others alternatives that are only slightly longer and use them instead.
That link didn't work for me. Anyway, is it a hairy RAB?

neslon

I change my commute all the time, depending on the weather, the light, how far I feel like going - it would be very dull to do the same journey every day.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My commute is very short, but on the way to work it's at peak traffic time, so I'm actually slowed by cars, in the evenings it's a bit of a race-track and I'm on my commuting Tractor with heavy laptop and work clothes...so not an agile nimble beast. After a year of suffering verbal for riding properly in the heavy and slow traffic flow I finally decided last September to take the many cagers advice to use the cycle-path, which as a big wide shared facility goes is actually very good...OK, have to cross 6 junctions (2 are RAB's), but no worries.
This year I've even ditched the bike...after dropping the girls off at school 6 miles away I collect Mrs FF and the 8 y/o lad from home, drop him off at school en route and Mrs FF drops me at work... (She works part-time on the same Industrial area). In the evenings I now walk home, It takes 20 mins at a very brisk pace or 30 mins as a stroll. Cycling used to take 8 to 10 mins max, too short to loose the frustrations of the day! The walk probably burns more calories too, which is no bad thing in my job.

There are days when I wish I had a proper commute!

PS: Mrs FF reckons she is gonna cycle the Lad to school and herself to work 2 days a week...I might be back on 2 wheels again soon!

neslon said:
I change my commute all the time, depending on the weather, the light, how far I feel like going - it would be very dull to do the same journey every day.

I don't have any problems.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As I said I like to alter my route and do it a bit by route planning, and a bit by following my nose. One day this week I got a bit carried away with altering my route....

diversion one worked and cut off a bit of main road and will be nice for a change....:evil:

Experiment two - in trying to find a way to get around a one way route I thought I would try - through a cemetery - (with roads in), although it had gates on the side I wanted to get out they were all locked so back out the way I came - wasted 5 mins:sad:.

Experiment three - I was trying to find a short cut from St Werburghs to the Muller Rd, on the maps I had found reference to "Boiling Wells Road", and it was marked on the A-Z more clearly than the OS map. Set off, and it was lovely ... quiet, not like Bristol, and me thinking I had found a gem ... I knew where it came out on the Muller Rd - a 2 meter wide pathway marked to St Werburghs. Then I came to some gates - and the road changed into farm track ... rough but OK, then just when I could see the lovely Yellow brick road (set gravelled path), there was a 10 metre area of deep mud and farm slurry inbetweenxx(xx(:wacko:. I went for it and made it (knew I couldn't put my foot down or fall off - I could tell that from the smell). Every time I used the brakes on the way home it was awful - really scatchy, ended up walking some downhill bits. Washed the bike down and the brakes too.

However I'm sure it will be lovely in summer :?:sad:and thank goodness my friend wasn't feeling well so she went home by car rather than joining me on my short cut on her brand new bike:ohmy:.

So go on experiment and you too can have a day like mine...!

Think I need to keep the mileage down especially on the commute in.I don't need a puncture really so the shortest way in is the best methinks.I can't really afford to be late for work.The last time I was late was Nov 1997.

On the way home yes but im usually knackered and just want to get home.

Top Bottom