Alternative 2 wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all.
I am new to Bromptons but at 67 I have (too) many years on two wheels. Due to health issues we bought two ebikes recently but found that they were subject to restrictions here in Northern Ireland. They are now gathering dust and until this fiasco is sorted we have bought two new Bromptons to use to supplement or maybe replace the ebikes if the nightmare isn't resolved.
Just looking for general advice on what to expect from what I see as excellent engineering on two wheels.
Both are H6R models so any general do's and don'ts advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

Kell

Veteran
That's a real shame about the eBikes. Though if you find that you love your Bromptons and the restrictions get resolved, there are either conversion kits to turn them into eBikes or electric Bromptons for sale direct.

If you do decide to sell and keep your eBikes, then at least the Bromptons will keep a lot of their value.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
:welcome:
Follow the maintenance recommendations in the user manual and you won't go far wrong! The chain and tensioner attract a lot of muck, being so low to the ground, so pay particular attention to them; keeping the chain clean and lubricated prolongs the useful life of both the chain and rear sprockets.
Keep the seat post clean, but don't get any oil or grease on it. Once you've found the ideal saddle height you may want to mark the position on the post or get the dedicated insert. I've been lucky in that the extended seat post is perfect for me at its full length. The ride will feel very twitchy if you're used to larger wheels, but you soon get used to it, as well as the rather idiosyncratic sequence of gear changes (simultaneously changing up with the left and down with the right, for example). This soon becomes second nature with practice.
You're right about the excellent engineering! Be prepared to demonstrate folding and unfolding to total strangers, and become a keen Brompton advocate - I've almost certainly inspired a handful of sales over the years! Mine is mostly used for shopping - the optional Easy Wheels, or whatever they call them, are well worth the extra expenditure for wheeling a folded brommie around with a load of shopping in the pannier. Keeping the tyre pressures high makes a huge difference to the ease of riding. Try not to pull or push too hard on the handlebars when putting effort into riding to reduce the risk of metal fatigue - that said, I'm still on my first set of P-type bars after 9 years and probably 9000 miles or thereabouts. That's about all I can think of for now. Enjoy!

Many thanks for that advice. We have been out as much as possible but as I still have very limited strength in my left leg after an industrial accident over 20 years ago I am noticing a real difference compared to the pedelecs. (The reason for buying them before learning that they were banned!)
With this in mind could I ask another question?
I was offered a 44 tooth chain ring at purchase but I declined and went with the o/e. To be honest I am now finding that I have never actually been able to use gear option 3+ and I am not sure that I ever will.
Could someone advise if the 44 tooth wheel will make a noticeable difference?
At the moment I have effectively just four gears as the 3 option both + and - are not being used and I feel that a 44 would lower the gearing across the range.
I avoid hills as much as I can but it is not always possible and walking / weightbearing is painful.
Many thanks.

Last edited:

Poacher

The 44 would make an appreciable difference, well worth the 25 quid it costs for the ring and guard.
My older bike has an all in one crank and chainring, but yours would be quite easy to change. As far as I know, it's a 5 arm 130 mm crank, which should allow a ring as small as 38 teeth, but hopefully someone with more relevant experience can advise. You'll need to shorten the chain - by two links for a 44t ring, more if you go smaller. Maybe worth going back to the shop and asking for a test ride on lower gearing?
Note that rings smaller than 44 are not standard Brompton offerings!

Many thanks Poacher. The Brompton dealers don't have any demo bikes with 44t rings, or indeed any Bromptons at all with 44t rings so I think I will go ahead with the change as I can retain the original ring should I want to change back at any time. As the bike is only a few weeks old I suspect I will have to approach them to do the work to retain the warranty.
I believe, if as you say there is an appreciable difference with 44 I probably wouldn't need to go any smaller to an non Brompton item.

Poacher

Hello again! When I say appreciable, I mean you'll notice the lower gearing, but whether it's sufficiently lower for your needs, I don't know.
If you're currently finding 5th and 6th gears unusable, you may only find 5th usable after the change, which wouldn't be the best result!
As a very rough rule of thumb, having 6 fewer teeth on the front means about 12% lower gears across the range, whereas having 12 fewer teeth would be about 25% lower gearing.
My gut feeling as a known outlaw would be to fit a 38t and remove 4 links myself, preferably after the Brommie has had its first (free) service, and be prepared to re-fit the 50t and 4 links if a warranty claim is needed, which is very unlikely in the experience of the majority of owners, but the choice is yours.

Kell

Veteran
This might help you @Brompted

It shows all the gearing options and the relevant gear inches:

Given what you've said above and what @Poacher said, it looks like 6th would still be unusable for you.

23509505_10154843934676021_3444676570194450348_o.jpg

Thanks for that Kell.
Fortunately the chain wheel's cost isn't going to break me so I will make a decision soon and if I have two to choose from then so be it.
We both love these Bromptons and as an ex-engineer in a past life I can appreciate the workmanship, welding and engineering qualities.
We have been stopped on several occasions and we do our best to extol the virtues of our bikes. Not difficult at all because it is easy to tell the truth.

Hello Folk
Thanks to you all for the info. I have had the first inspection and I requested a 44T chain wheel which they fitted for £25. There is a small but quite noticeable difference now and I am finding pedalling with my gammy left peg somewhat easier. To be fair it does seem a little "fast" at times in - 1 but I have been able to use 5th and 6th on several occasions which I wasn't before the change. Both bikes are still brilliant and we are well pleased with the convenience on offer.
Again to be honest we miss our Pedelecs more than we ever thought but until the professional bickerers (who are still trousering wages whilst not involved in gainful employment) sort themselves and find the elusive document to be signed and allow us to be "legal" again the Bromptons are more than paying their way.
We are still happily involved in "selling" Bromptons to the many who eye ours up. We have both got the fold / unfold off to a fine art if not exactly world record status but many have approached us to admire and ask questions. Some have turned out to be "old folders" who remember the original Bromptons and are tempted to get back in the seat of a new version.
Both bikes in the back of our VW Golf and off to places which we would never have been able to get the Pedelecs because of lack of rail links has been a real bonus.
Complaints? - None as yet. :becool:

Kell

Veteran
I suppose that's a crucial difference - the pedelecs are great if you're going out from your house, or have the relevant racks to transport them. Bromtpons will go in pretty much anything...

Mine goes in the boot of a mini convertible...

Yes the Pedelecs were great for leaving the house and heading for the excellent towpath which opened such a lot of options.
The combined two bike weight of 41kg however meant that even the best tow bar mount would have been on its limits despite what is claimed.
I am an "old school" ex-HGV driver and I know what a unstable load looks like and I have seen some horrors with oblivious drivers........:eek:

Off for another trip around Newcastle tomorrow - the Bromptons in the boot will be the only way we will be able to cycle in that splendid area.
We never tire of the admiring looks and questions because these are quality bikes.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom