Alternative Coast to Coast.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Over the weekend, I planned and rode an alternative coast to coast ride with my eldest son who's fairly new to cycling. The original plan was to go from Morecambe to Scarborough but on checking out the Wolds scenery and finding it far too dull and uninteresting to stimulate us, we decided instead to make the finishing point Saltburn by the Sea, just south of Middlesbrough. You can see the whole route here http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Coast-to-Coast-Morecambe-to-Saltburn-by-the-Sea

We did it over two days staying at Middleham on Saturday night and made the mistake of booking ahead. I say mistake as when we got there, we found we could certainly have gone much further and we actually arrived before 2pm which was far too early! This gave rise to the idea we could do it in a one-er at some future date. As for this time though, it was 189 kilometres and 2227 metres of climb and the climb was by no means all on day one either! There is a hilly, but fabulous section from Kirkby Sigston to Osmotherly and down to Great Broughton. Then there's a very hilly section just when you don't need it, from Kildale to Commondale and beyond. It's a bit brutal but through seriously lovely countryside that I was totally unfamillar with.

The weather was damp and cold on Saturday, which kept the traffic at a minimum and warmer and sunnier on the Sunday. We did it at an average of just shy of 25 kph and I used up 6267 calories (since replaced with interest). I'd recommend this route over the official one also.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds great!

I had been intending to PM you to see if your shoulder was okay after your recent tangle with a doddery old driver, but if you could tackle that ride, you must be okay! :biggrin:

Did you get dropped off on one coast and get picked up on the other, or are there rail links to those towns?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We're doing Morecombe bay to Bridlington in a few weeks time over 3x 80 mile days. Looking forward to some great climbing over the Pennines before descending towards York! There's ten of us roadies, one paddy wagon and a very big bar kitty. People of Bridlington... you've been warned.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Sounds great!

I had been intending to PM you to see if your shoulder was okay after your recent tangle with a doddery old driver, but if you could tackle that ride, you must be okay! :biggrin:

Did you get dropped off on one coast and get picked up on the other, or are there rail links to those towns?

Shoulder's alright thanks. There was no bone or joint damage, just some superficial "scrape" bloody stuff which cleared pretty quickly and I was riding again after five days or so but needed padding to stop the bleeding staining my jerseys.

We did get dropped off at Morecambe and picked up at Saltburn too. The benefits of my son's mother. She wouldn't do it for me but nowt's too good for him!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
We're doing Morecombe bay to Bridlington in a few weeks time over 3x 80 mile days.

That sounds excessive. That is 240 miles. Do you mean kilometers or are you taking a roundabout, scenic route?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
PaulB said:
That sounds excessive. That is 240 miles. Do you mean kilometers or are you taking a roundabout, scenic route?

Yep, miles, route is roundabout and hopefully scenic... up hill and down dale, hangovers need beating into submission :biggrin:

Beardie

I agree with skmc1955, the Wolds are a renowned scenic area. Geologically, they're a northwards continuation of the Cotswolds, and no-one would dare say they were dull.

Anyway, if you're packing in the miles like you are, you're not going to have time to see much en route.

Top Bottom