Alternative Fred Whitton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crossers

Anyone fancy this?

The Chris Walker Cycle Challenge is either an 11 mile undulating loop with one long climb (short route), a 22 mile challenge which has two serious climbs(medium route) or a mammoth 85 mile loop around the beautiful Lake District taking in most of the high mountain passes that the Lakes has to offer(long route). These include Honister, Hardknot, Wrynose and the hard way up Kirkstone pass from Ambleside! Roll out time will be from 08.30am and heads out of the town of Keswick onto the first climb of the day (Honister pass which is the Medium & Long route only. The Short Route avoids this).
The ride starts and finishes at Keswick Adventure Centre ,who have kindly offered the use of their facilities including toilets/car parking etc. They have also arranged the broom wagon (Long Option Only). The Challenge is not only a tough day of cycling, but you will be rewarded with some amazing views too.

Details can be found at www.chriswalkercyclechallenge.com

Are you the organiser or something ?

You're on here, BikeRadar and the CTC forum advertising this event.

No problem if you are - but don't you think should say so ?

OP
OP
Crossers

Crossers

Its through Keswick Adventure Centre. Just trying spread to word and help them out were I can as I knew Chris Walker who the trust is setup for.

Many Thanks

OP
OP
Crossers

Crossers

I must admit that I have never climbed Hardknott from the west before so it will be interesting. I have rode kirkstone from ambleside and that is a real challenge being 2/3 way round.

I know some of the guys at Bury and Bolton Clarion but I can't seem to see North Cheshire in the section's page on the Clarion website.

I now live in Knutsford so you guys are not to far from me.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I might just be up for this.
Planning to be in the Lakes that weekend anyway as OH is running in the UTLD50.
Some negotiating to do methinks.

Crossers said:
I must admit that I have never climbed Hardknott from the east before so it will be interesting. I have rode kirkstone from ambleside and that is a real challenge being 2/3 way round.

I know some of the guys at Bury and Bolton Clarion but I can't seem to see North Cheshire in the section's page on the Clarion website.

I now live in Knutsford so you guys are not to far from me.

'Tis there http://www.clarioncc.org/our_sections.html
- you weren't looking under C for Cheshire rather than N for North Cheshire or something ?

Feel free to come over and have a look at us one Sat or Sunday ride if you like, details on http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

The route is Hardknott from the West btw, up from Eskdale and then onto Wrynose.
- I think from the East is probably even harder...and certainly Wrynose would be.

I've never ridden the Struggle, driven it so I know what it's like, and it'll be a lot harder than the Fred Whitton route up - it might actually be harder than Hardknott...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Caution Runners.

If you do the 85 miler and are on the slow side.... look out for some VERY tired runners at the bottom of Wrynose (esp. the sharp bends just before joining the Little Langdale road).
Be aware that any runners may have covered 90 odd miles (mostly off-road) by that point (starting at 17:30 previous evening) so don't assume any road sense on their part - or even an ability to walk/run straight!
The routes are only shared for about 1 km from just by Hollin Crag to just after Fell Foot Farm.

OP
OP
Crossers

Crossers

Sorry Andy, I ment the from the west side as I have only ever climb hardknott from the east but that was many years ago. I think some of us will be walking the struggle at the end of the day.

I was looking at the Clarion sections here http://www.clarioncc.org/ClarionSections.htm but as you can see North Cheshire isn't listed..

OP
OP
Crossers

Crossers

porkypete said:
If you do the 85 miler and are on the slow side.... look out for some VERY tired runners at the bottom of Wrynose (esp. the sharp bends just before joining the Little Langdale road).
Be aware that any runners may have covered 90 odd miles (mostly off-road) by that point (starting at 17:30 previous evening) so don't assume any road sense on their part - or even an ability to walk/run straight!
The routes are only shared for about 1 km from just by Hollin Crag to just after Fell Foot Farm.

Are these people crazy. Running over 90 Miles!!! Will look out for them Cheers:biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
There's crazy.... and effing crazy.... Cumbrian fell runners are way beyond that.

The starting pistol for this years UTLD will be fired by Joss Naylor MBE

some of his achievements include:
1975: 72 peaks involving over 100 miles and 37,000 feet of ascent in 23h20m.
1986: (age 50): completed the Wainwrights in 7 days.
2006:
(age 70): 70 Lakeland fell tops, covering more than 50 miles and ascending more than 25,000 feet in under 21 hours.

Crossers said:
I was looking at the Clarion sections here http://www.clarioncc.org/ClarionSections.htm but as you can see North Cheshire isn't listed..

Interesting - but click 'back to homepage', that page does say 'last updated in 2007'
I think you're in a redundant obsolete area of the website : all the look&feel is different to the current pages.

How did you even get into that area ?
- I can't seem to get to it from the main landing page http://www.clarioncc.org/