Alternative to Creek2Peak panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Rado

I recently had a pair of Creek2Peak rear panniers stolen from my bike - photo attached. I've spent hours and hours googling for something to replace them with, but can't find anything that comes close to matching up to them. I'm looking for something with the following features, all of which the Creek2Peak ones had - any suggestions? Or if anyone can sell me a second hand pair, price is no object!

1) The top of the panniers should be flush with the back carrier, so that I can strap other things to the carrier. (A lot of panniers come up too high and make the carrier unusable).

2) Large capacity (I think mine were about 27l).

3) External pockets, at least one of which zips up with two zip pullers per zip, rather than one - so that the zip pullers meet in the middle when the zip is fastened. This allows one to thread a small padlock through the holes in the pullers, and padlock the zip pullers together. That's so that I can keep relatively pricey accessories such as the bicycle lights and pump in one of the pockets without worrying about them being stolen. Before I started locking the pockets on my panniers in this way, my bicycle lights were stolen many times.

4) Good water resistance. The Creek2Peak ones didn't claim to be fully waterproof but they always kept my things dry even when cycling in heavy rain.

Most panniers don't seem to have pockets at all; in most of those which do, the pockets don't seem to be zippable, and the few that I've found that are zippable seem to only have one zip puller per zip, so that they can't be padlocked. And also, most large capacity panniers come up too high and make the back carrier unusable.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
I have two set of old-school panniers (both Altura) with external zipped pockets but they are no longer made - such things quite rare now I think as they can't really be waterproofed.
As for the panniers protruding above the rack I don't pack light but have never found that a problem in practice when lashing yet more gubbins on top of the rack - usually drybags. Is this a deal breaker? It might be a problem if you were trying to put something hard and straight on top, like a plank, but otherwise I find that everything just squishes (technical term) into place.
You can of course get racks with two rails to put the panniers further down, keeping the top rail free.

Must admit that despite the lack of pockets (though you can add things) I am a massive fan of Ortliebs for all sorts of reasons.

As for the panniers protruding above the rack I don't pack light but have never found that a problem in practice when lashing yet more gubbins on top of the rack - usually drybags. Is this a deal breaker? It might be a problem if you were trying to put something hard and straight on top, like a plank, but otherwise I find that everything just squishes (technical term) into place.
It's handy to be able to attach rack-packs at the same time as one/two panniers. This is a right pain with all the panniers I own.

Small to medium logs, less of a problem.

OP
OP
D

Dave Rado

Take a look at Carradice
I have - they don't seem to do anything that has zipped pockets with two zippers on each zip.

By the way, is there any way to get an email notification when someone posts a reply in a thread that I've started? I haven't had any emails yet although there have been several replies.

vickster

Legendary Member
yes I know - seems odd that you didn't know.
They are fine panniers though - I've had a pair for over 20 years, still look pretty much like new despite lots of heavy use.
I've never used them (they're sat in a drawer in the box)! Any touring plans I had since purchase have been rather scuppered for obvious reasons

I wouldn't leave any valuables in the side pocket of a pannier on an unattended bike myself so the ability to zip and lock isn't a consideration. Clearly ymmv

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have - they don't seem to do anything that has zipped pockets with two zippers on each zip.

By the way, is there any way to get an email notification when someone posts a reply in a thread that I've started? I haven't had any emails yet although there have been several replies.
Use the Watch thread function, you'll get notifications

I use them for the front panniers but they don't have pockets with zips, so for the reasons I explained in my original post, I can't use them for my rear ones.
mm
>>That's so that I can keep relatively pricey accessories such as the bicycle lights and pump in one of the pockets

anything relatively pricey/nickable I'd take with you - I can't see that any decent pump I'd care to use would fit in a pocket - put in main pannier?
Have you considered either a take-with- you handlebar bag or bumbag for the nickable stuff?
If you've had stuff nicked multiple times it seems to me that a zip is not going to be much of a deterrent to the folks you are facing.
Have no idea where you are.

Top Bottom