Alternative to dodgy light brackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hello peeps
I haven't commuted on my bike now for three weeks, till today. Reason being, I got some fab new lights (Cree Q5 torches, basically, but I'm v impressed). However, the brackets that came with the ones I bought (I bought from from Amazon, not from Torchythebatteryboy, who seems to get good reviews) let me down... half a mile into their first outing, one of the brackets snapped on going over a bump in the road, and I managed to snap the other one by accidentally dropping the bike... duh.
I looked around for alternatives, and eventually settled on some silicon straps (see link and pic below). Now, I'm sure you must be able to get these in Blighty, but I couldn't find any anywhere, so I ordered from China. The downside was, they took 3 weeks to arrive, but they were cheap (I bought 2 sets), and I can report, having used them and the new lights in the fog this morning, that they are excellent!!
One strap doesn't do the job, and the light wobbles about like a jelly on a washing machine, but if you use two straps (one over, one under) I can report that they hold the lights as stable as a stable thing in a stable. I'm v happy with this particular purchase :thumbsup:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Cycli...er-/150879070937?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

21883-BK.jpg

GlenBen

Über Member
Just bought myself a set, here's hoping they're good, got to be better than the rubbish that came with my crees.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i use a std thick plastic nut and bolt type lamp bracket and then using 2 cable ties , one each side of bars positioned between bracket and bars then looped around torch light body , have used same set up for at least 3 years now replacing cable ties each time i refit lights .

works fine no vibes or shaking from lamp on road use cant vouch for off road use

ohnovino

Large Member
My cree torch came with one of these useless brackets:
sku_105213_1_small.jpg

so I replaced it with one of these velcro ones instead instead:
sku_31871_1_small.jpg

About £1.60 from dx.com (or around a fiver on ebay from UK sellers). So far so good. I can get the torch to point exactly where I need it, and there's no rattling or shifting about.

HovR

Über Member
My cree torch came with one of these useless brackets:
sku_105213_1_small.jpg

so I replaced it with one of these velcro ones instead instead:

That's odd, my torch came with the same mount and I've been using it fine for probably the last 1000 or so miles. Torch hasn't come out of it once, and I've even used it mounted upside-down below the handle bars once before. This is mostly on-road - Maybe if you're going off road you won't get the same results.

Top Bottom