Alternatives to Muc-off bike cleaner/degreaser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomtomato

Regular
Hi,

I buy quite a lot of Muc-off bike cleaner (pink bottle with spray), and I think it works very well.

However, are there any cheaper alternatives people would recommend, as Muc-off is quite expensive?

Thanks,
Tom.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@tomtomato bucket with washing up liquid and hot water applied with sponges and brushes then rinsed off........cheap as chips.....

Jody

Stubborn git
However, are there any cheaper alternatives people would recommend, as Muc-off is quite expensive?.

Buy in bulk and especially if you can find a friend to go halves with. I got 10 litres (2x5) delivered for £25

T4tomo

Guru
How ever did we cope in the old days before muc off and other soap and water substitutes were invented?

Jody

Stubborn git
Poundland do something that looks very similar to Muc-off although I haven't used it myself.

I have. Its not great

U

User32269

Poundland do something that looks very similar to Muc-off although I haven't used it myself.
I bought a couple of bottles and it does the job ok. Only problem is the bottle (at the top where the trigger screws in) breaks if you even look at it funny.

lutonloony

Über Member
In a moment of madness I cleaned my bike with some wash and wax stuff from poundland. Did a pretty good job, except for the fact that I never considered how shiny rims with wax on might not be the best surface for breaks to work on. Suffice to say it decreasd my stopping power to almost zero!!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In a moment of madness I cleaned my bike with some wash and wax stuff from poundland. Did a pretty good job, except for the fact that I never considered how shiny rims with wax on might not be the best surface for breaks to work on. Suffice to say it decreasd my stopping power to almost zero!!!
Yep, always wipe my braking surface down with washing up liquid after using an 'Add Wax' shampoo (and before/during the hose off)

zacklaws

Guru
For degreasing, I cannot recommend Morgan Blue chain cleaner enough for doing the job, just spray it on the cassette, chain etc, leave for 5 mins and wash off with warm soapy water and your just left with clean shiny parts and no mess to clean up. Prior to this I was an advocate of washing up liquid, fenwicks, muc off ,white spirits, petrol etc but non of them can touch Morgan Blue for its cleanliness and simplicity in use.

Its about a "tenner" a litre though

Top Bottom