Alternatives to Vango Ark 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm planning on doing a little cycle touring but I have claustrophobia so avoid small tents. I was attracted to the Vango Ark or Alpha tent ranges as they have high ceilings and are reasonably priced.

However I wondered if anyone here knew of any alternatives? At 3.45kg the Vango Ark seems 'okay' for cycle touring but a bit overweight for non claustrophobic cycle touring types.

Ootini

Hi,

I'm planning on doing a little cycle touring but I have claustrophobia so avoid small tents. I was attracted to the Vango Ark or Alpha tent ranges as they have high ceilings and are reasonably priced.

However I wondered if anyone here knew of any alternatives? At 3.45kg the Vango Ark seems 'okay' for cycle touring but a bit overweight for non claustrophobic cycle touring types.

I've got a Vango Ark 200 and considered it way too bulky and heavy for use when bikepacking solo. I bought myself a cheap and nasty Yellowstone Alpine 2 tent instead, it's smaller but lighter 1.85kg and packs down much smaller. Here's some info: https://bikepackingonabudget.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/the-tent-pt-1/
I however, don't get claustrophobic so the Yellowstone tent would be no good for you. If you're planning on going touring when the weather is decent I'd suggest a tarp may be a better idea? Open to the elements so more susceptible to wind and rain, but also no issues with claustrophobia.
I think you're really going to struggle to find a tent that's light enough and small enough to ride with, yet big enough that you won't get claustrophobic inside it without spending a fortune. If you're riding and touring with somebody else, maybe a bigger tent split between you?

Remember that when bike packing or cycle touring the tents weight is one thing, but it's pack size is just as important. You need some way to strap it to the bike. The Vango Ark is packed in a long bag which when strapped to a standard rear rack top over hangs quite a bit and makes the bike very "wheelie happy".

Ootini

Also, another option is buy a smaller tent, but sleep with your head near the door, leave it open if the weather permits. Would that help? I don't suffer with claustrophobia so just guessing here.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'd never thought of that, and that must be a pretty tough thing to deal with. Another suggestion (with apologies if you've already thought of this or it doesn't help): what about a covered hammock? Obviously only is practical if you are touring areas where you can set it up.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Thanks for all the tips guys. Vango Banshee looks ok, will have a look at the range at Go Outdoors next time I'm going that way. Some interesting suggestions there too.

I've camped okay in dome tents before, that's what drew me to the Vango Ark and Alpha range. (although admittedly the Ark is a tunnel tent). I've also carried crappy 10 quid Tesco dome tents on my bike before, hung over the handle bars which is a solution but not ideal obviously. :smile: They are light too " about 1.5kg. Shame condensation drips from the ceiling before the tent sometimes blows away.

As for the claustrophobia, I think it's because I've was trapped in sleeping bags by people having a laugh when I was a kid and it's just that unnerving thought of not being able to get out that really freaks me out, making it difficult for me to get off to sleep. You should have seen the time I had to get into an MRI machine hehe.

I also had a bad experience with a Gelert Solo at a festival sadly. :sad: I was an idiot to buy that tent but hubris and a tight budget got in the way.

Last edited:

Ootini

Thanks for all the tips guys. Vango Banshee looks ok, will have a look at the range at Go Outdoors next time I'm going that way. Some interesting suggestions there too.

I've camped okay in dome tents before, that's what drew me to the Vango Ark and Alpha range. I've also carried crappy 10 quid Tesco dome tents on my bike before, hung over the handle bars which is a solution but not ideal obviously. :smile: They are light too " about 1.5kg. Shame condensation drips from the ceiling before the tent sometimes blows away.

As for the claustrophobia, I think it's because I've was trapped in sleeping bags by people having a laugh when I was a kid and it's just that unnerving thought of not being able to get out that really freaks me out, making it difficult for me to get off to sleep. You should have seen the time I had to get into an MRI machine hehe.

I also had a bad experience with a Gelert Solo at a festival sadly. :sad: I was an idiot to buy that tent but hubris and a tight budget got in the way.

Out of curiosity, are you sure it's the tent causing the claustrophobia issues and not the sleeping bag itself? Perhaps try a small tent, and instead of a sleeping bag, try a down quilt?

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Out of curiosity, are you sure it's the tent causing the claustrophobia issues and not the sleeping bag itself? Perhaps try a small tent, and instead of a sleeping bag, try a down quilt?

Yeah I'm not a fan of mummy sleeping bags either. On the positive side my muscles will get bigger from lugging all this weight. :tongue:

The Vango Halo 200 looks like another interesting tent. Little heavier than the Ark and more expensive (almost 3x.. shame). Can't find the pack size but think it may have been discontinued so maybe just selling off the remaining stock.

Last edited:

Ootini

Yeah I'm not a fan of mummy sleeping bags either. On the positive side my muscles will get bigger from lugging all this weight. :tongue:

The Vango Halo 200 looks like another interesting tent. Little heavier than the Ark and more expensive (almost 3x.. shame). Can't find the pack size but think it may have been discontinued so maybe just selling off the remaining stock.

Of them all I'd take either the Helix, Blade or Zenith. I wouldn't want to take a tent weighing much more than 2kg if I could avoid it.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Of them all I'd take either the Helix, Blade or Zenith. I wouldn't want to take a tent weighing much more than 2kg if I could avoid it.

Thanks. The Zenith looks interesting, only the three person one looks quite roomy but is only .55kg more. Basically half a bag of sugar or a bit of extra weight loss. :smile:

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru

And apologies you could pretty much say them about the three person version of them all. The Helix 300 is a monster and again weighs .5kg more.

2tente-vango-helix-300-4_30711.jpg

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Whilst in Go Outdoors at the weekend buying a new mat ( an OEX compact ) one of the staff told me that OEX was making a play to take over Vangos share of the outdoor market. I must admit their kit looked very good for the money. I just hope the mat is as comfortable for a month as it was for the 5 minutes i tried it.

Ootini

Is it just me or has Gelert become a bit crap in comparison? I guess the Vango Halo type one is a lot cheaper but don't like the look of the others. They don't even give the weight on the 4 man one
http://www.gelert.com/tents/adventure-tents

Moreover I thought Karrimor was that crappy Sports Direct brand?
Karrimor is owned by Sports Direct's parent company I believe.
Gelert tents are cheap and cheerful, not quite as nasty as the Yellowstone jobbie I bought. Personally I'd only worry if I were planning on camping during foul weather, which I'm not.

Top Bottom