England : Greater Manchester Altrincham/Timperley clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Stone

Hi all like a few of the other posts I'm thinking of taking the plunge, I know what I can do (a bit:smile:) but not sure of the clubs in area, any advice

After more laid back chilled, but challenging rides and would love to try a proper group ride.

Problems are - I am the worst person ever in new situations, new people I think I stick out like sore thumb and go clammy, it is a real pain. No idea how I snagged a wife and a decent job lol.

I want to do, I can force myself, but I'm very nervous. I had a panic dream I stopped and caused a major pile up.....

Well anyone any members of any in these areas recommend any and I can check them out.

Muchos thanks guys

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Seamons CC club runs start in Altrincham. There is also a club called Altrincham Ravens CC (I don't know anything about them, however I am racing in their open 25 mile time trial promotion later today).

There are LOADS of clubs in the Greater Manchester area.

You need a club that as intro rides to see if a club is for you ! There are different levels of ability/speed in all clubs
Our club has intros of a slower pace to build on ! usually once a month from the gateway didsbury then over to tatton park
give it try ! The guy above is one of the fast riders in our club ! is nt that right mr Rob3rt.. what a guy :rolleyes:

400bhp

Guru
Seamons have 4 different "level" rides on Sunday, all starting from Rackhams in Altrincham.

The social one seem to bob along at around 14-15mph over 40 odd miles and stop at a cafe. Give them a try.:thumbsup:

Further afield, North Cheshire Clarion do a Saturday taster ride, starting in Stretton near Warrington. Again about 15mph and do about 20 miles. A very welcoming club.

I used to belong to both.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm not a member of Polocini, but I do know a few people members either 1st or second claim and have ridden with them, would vouch for them as a friendly club and Al and his partner at the cafe are great hosts! A few members of our club ride with them either as second claim or just tag along with them.

They have zero race presence IME though, if that matters to you at all in terms of future racing!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No race presence at the minute. Just got BC registered. I joined as racing is no longer my choice. With a family, I tend to commute all week, then occasionally get a few hours spare at weekend - hence joining Polocini club. Very social bunch, new club and finding it's feet.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No race presence at the minute. Just got BC registered. I joined as racing is no longer my choice. With a family, I tend to commute all week, then occasionally get a few hours spare at weekend - hence joining Polocini club. Very social bunch, new club and finding it's feet.

@fossyant One of them rides our club 10 occasionally, forget his name (Richard maybe?), rides a Ribble TT bike with Fulcrum deep section wheels, ridden with him a few times when he has been out with with Wilky. I told them months ago re. needing CTC and various other affiliations etc if they wanted to race in the Policini colours, but I am not sure if they acted on it (or even wanted to).

Edit: Yes it is Richard.

Mickthemove

Über Member
Love the relaxed attitude at Polocini, the coffee and cakes are sublime and if i was to join a club it would be that one! and i live near Alty! must be said though that the rides around Polocini are brutes and you must like hills! LOL and they have a rather cool test team kit

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Love the relaxed attitude at Polocini, the coffee and cakes are sublime and if i was to join a club it would be that one! and i live near Alty! must be said though that the rides around Polocini are brutes and you must like hills! LOL and they have a rather cool test team kit

I live less than a mile from there. They are only hills ! :tongue: A recen't saturday run did over 2000ft of climbing in the first 15 miles !

OP
OP
Nick Stone

Nick Stone

Me and hills are becoming more friendly, even been adding a loop up to Tatton Park from Timperley, to get some more roads in

OP
OP
Nick Stone

Nick Stone

Did a 72 run with some friends on Saturday morning, got some climbing in strava telling me just over 2000ft and the garmins got another few hundred on it. Was a bit brutal as I had an off at 36 miles and feeling it now.

Think a run out will have to take place soon then, I'm nearly ready for it. They will of course have time to brew up at the top of any hills whilst waiting for me, lol.

Now time to mtfu and stop being shy

Top Bottom