Altrincham to Manchester City Centre - Off Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Used the canal on the way home earlier between Stretford and Timperley, busy with usual dog walkers, geese and kids. So many cyclists going like the clappers. If you won't to go that quick (18mph+) surely you use the roads? I wouldn't be surprised to see physical restrictions put along there soon. As usual the actions of a few knobheads spoiling it for the rest of us.

I don't think many people would choose the A56 over the Bridgewater Canal, 18mph+ or not (I don't).

I move quickly along the canal path when it's clear, but slow considerably when passing other cyclists, pedestrians, animals etc and I v rarely have issues.

united4ever

Über Member
How often do you use your bell on the Bridgewater canal towpath? When approaching head on pedestrians they can see you so it's usually fine but when approaching from behind I sometimes am in doubt. If it's one person walking there is usually plenty of space but if they took a sidestep (really unlikely) for some unknown reason then we may have an issue. However, when you have two people walking side by side, depends on the stretch but in some parts it's still wide enough to get past but I usually bell just to let them know. Of course in some parts you need them to move so have to use the bell. How about when approaching entrances to the canal path when there is a small chance someone may step/cycle out....like around Walton Park or Timperley Brook for example.....do you bell here just on the off chance?

For those unfamiliar, here is part of the route to give an idea.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWPQzI7pzk

clf

Just use judgement, it's easy enough to tell if people know you're there. If you do need to use your bell do it from a reasonable distance, not right on top of them. There are a small minority of people who just won't make it easy for you to pass, it's these people who will eventually stop cyclists using the path because of the actions of a minority of selfish a**ehole riders.

united4ever

Über Member
Yeah, common sense I guess, I do tend to bell from a distance even when there is passing distance but sometimes no movement from them so wondering if that means they heard me and they is plenty of space or they didn't hear and I need to ring the bell again by which time I am much closer.....anyway, may be overthinking this one.

How often do you use your bell on the Bridgewater canal towpath? When approaching head on pedestrians they can see you so it's usually fine but when approaching from behind I sometimes am in doubt. If it's one person walking there is usually plenty of space but if they took a sidestep (really unlikely) for some unknown reason then we may have an issue. However, when you have two people walking side by side, depends on the stretch but in some parts it's still wide enough to get past but I usually bell just to let them know. Of course in some parts you need them to move so have to use the bell. How about when approaching entrances to the canal path when there is a small chance someone may step/cycle out....like around Walton Park or Timperley Brook for example.....do you bell here just on the off chance?

For those unfamiliar, here is part of the route to give an idea.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWPQzI7pzk

As a pedestrian it annoys me when cyclists come up behind me ringing their bell without seeming to have any intention of slowing down at all and expecting me to jump out of their way.

I think ring your bell once as soon as you see them but don't keeep barelling down at full speed and be prepared to stop or slow right down. Ring your bell again when you are closer if you don't think they heard you the first time but don't be aggressive about it, most people will accommodate you as long as you make it look like you are negotiating to pass them safely.

clid61

Veteran
Anyone ever got off the canal and explored chorlton ? When i lived there in the 60 s was a shithole now probably one of the most affluent places in that area Slow down take in some sights , bowling green is one ,proper food for cycling ! and the Horse and jockey on the green . Sooo laid back proper old pub on a village green , brought into this century , dog cat cycle friendly. good place for an hour 2 out !

clf

I don't have a large enough beard or sleeve tattoos to venture around Chorlton. Are you allowed to ride around there if you're not on an organic fair trade recycled fixed gear bike?

biking_fox

Guru
Anyone ever got off the canal and explored chorlton ? When i lived there in the 60 s was a shithole now probably one of the most affluent places in that area Slow down take in some sights , bowling green is one ,proper food for cycling ! and the Horse and jockey on the green . Sooo laid back proper old pub on a village green , brought into this century , dog cat cycle friendly. good place for an hour 2 out !

It's not actually that easy to do - you have to come off the canal at the clubhouse, somewhat counterintuatively loop around and under the canal, bit of a dirt track then follows the other side off the canal through the fields to emerge at the R Mersey. Lefthand bank is rough until you reach the tracks up to chorlton, or else it's through Sale Waterpark, to Jackson's boat and access up to Chorlton. I live there so do it occasionally, but find the connections to and from the canal a bit tricky- anyone know a better way?

400bhp

Guru
It's not actually that easy to do - you have to come off the canal at the clubhouse, somewhat counterintuatively loop around and under the canal, bit of a dirt track then follows the other side off the canal through the fields to emerge at the R Mersey. Lefthand bank is rough until you reach the tracks up to chorlton, or else it's through Sale Waterpark, to Jackson's boat and access up to Chorlton. I live there so do it occasionally, but find the connections to and from the canal a bit tricky- anyone know a better way?

No you don't have to do this.

You do the counterintuitive loop like you say but instead of hitting the dirt path use he road that skirts the cemetery and it brings you out at Ivygreen Rd.

It's a great route and I really like the bohemian bit of Chorlton around the Horse & 2 Jockey's.

biking_fox

Guru
No you don't have to do this.

You do the counterintuitive loop like you say but instead of hitting the dirt path use he road that skirts the cemetery and it brings you out at Ivygreen Rd.

It's a great route and I really like the bohemian bit of Chorlton around the Horse & 2 Jockey's.

Hey thanks that looks useful I'll try that.

clf

Last run on the canal for me until winter, I'd rather take on Chester Road/Cross Street than the tow path due to absolute peanuts who think it's acceptable to abuse intimidate and bully pedestrians along the route. These are the first twats that complain when they get a bit of the same from motorists.

Someone will get hurt on the canal sooner or later thanks these idiots, they made me feel ashamed to be associated with them. God help them if they try it with me when I'm using the canal as a pedestrian.

united4ever

Über Member
Up by watersmeet there is a an iron bridge that goes over the canal and the footbridge. Bunch of lads decided to throw stones at me tonight. Nobody else about either....i do sometimes wonder if a few lads could stop you then you are a sitting duck if nobody about. Five hundred quid plus bike as well as wallet, phone etc. Anyone heard of any muggings on the towpath?

clf

I've not heard if any muggings down there, I've used the canal through the winter in the dark and never felt threatened at all. It's usually busy enough throughout the year.

400bhp

Guru
I've not heard if any muggings down there, I've used the canal through the winter in the dark and never felt threatened at all. It's usually busy enough throughout the year.

+1. It would be a weird place to carry out a mugging. If you are going to mug someone, why take the chance that your victim is a 6ft brick outhouse (dark canal, cycle lights on, difficult to see posture on a bicycle from distance travelling at speed)? Suppose it depends whether muggers carry out a risk assesment:laugh:

Anyway, I have not had a bad experience on there using it over the last 6 years (albeit on and off). There's a few winos but that's about it.

Top Bottom