Altrincham to Warrington using National Cycle Route 62

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Anyone do this? Looking at a commute that way (to Stockton Heath area). Never ventured down there but is it paved, muddy, smooth, quiet, exposed to winds etc? Google suggests 11.6 miles and about 1 hour but I know that varies....was wondering if anyone had any experience on it?

I don't "do" it as such because I live very close to work, but I have "done" it a few times and it's a cinch / nice ride. NCN62 is on the transpennine trail, right? It's basically ten miles or so of broad, flat track between Altrincham and Warrington. It's a blast. You don't need a mountain bike for it, I used to run it on a fixed-fork hybrid with slick 32mm tyres.

Most of it is funnelled through trees so not especially windy, either.

You've just inspired me to take my new MTB out on there.

BB

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
ok, good to know, I have a hybrid, fixed fork, with 32mm marathon tyres. Sounds like it might be an option. What about in winter - no lighting i take it and I guess it's pitch black out in Dunham massey. At least it's straight so with good lights you could see a long way ahead.

400bhp

Guru
ok, good to know, I have a hybrid, fixed fork, with 32mm marathon tyres. Sounds like it might be an option. What about in winter - no lighting i take it and I guess it's pitch black out in Dunham massey. At least it's straight so with good lights you could see a long way ahead.

Your hybrid will be fine.

No lighting, apart from off neighbouring streets & houses but correct around Dunham. You need a "to see" light.

Get some full cover mudguards as the path can get quite muddy. Generally fine from Broadheath to Lymm, but patchy in and around Thelwall.

It's a good route.

Yeah the Lymm to Thelwall bit is flat mind you even if it can get a bit muddy, and it's well wide enough for three abreast with room to spare.

Can get a bit busy with dogs, families and people on £2.5k full-suspension bikes that have only ever been used on roads though...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I remember the last time we took a trip down there I had to hose the muck off my bike when I got home (and I NEVER clean my bike). It was the worst kind of gritty, sandy mud known to man so I imagine someone commuting that way in the damp season (11 months of the year :laugh:) will suffer quite a high mechanical wear rate to drivetrain and wheels if using rim brakes.

Top Bottom