Altruism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

A definite example of when not, is when somebody holds the door open for you when you've already stopped for them to go through and you have to set off again in order for them to look polite.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
possible, indeed everyday. People act out of kindness instinctively, and without thought of a reward, or even inward satisfaction.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
possible? yes, commonplace? not in my experience, maybe it's the 'headline' style altruists that taint my view. I think there are a lot of random acts of kindness, far more than any media view would have us believe. Not sure that these make a person truly altruistic, temporarily altruistic maybe. I'm sure that if you delve deeply enough you can attribute selfish motives to most acts of kindness. Personally I think that would be time poorly spent.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The British are the most altruistic nation on Earth. We have more do-gooders, clubs, societies and support groups than anywhere else. Why?

yello

I'd say frequent rather than possible. Maybe not often on the big scale but I reckon it's just a basic and natural part of all of us; an unthinking reaction to help out. I think so anyway.

I do reckon what happens though is that we live in such pressured environments, especially in cities, that we do get self-centred and protective... and become, rightly in cases, suspicious and weary of helping out. You have to be aware of that and chill out a touch.

But I do honestly think that in a healthy environment, where we are less pressured and chilled out, then we do revert to our natural way of being. It might sound like a cliche but happy, relaxed people are basically decent and good hearted too.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Rigid Raider said:
The British are the most altruistic nation on Earth. We have more do-gooders, clubs, societies and support groups than anywhere else. Why?

Ah, please don't confuse do-gooders with altruists, just IME I've come across some of the least charitable people working for charities. Folks totally bereft of any 'christian' spirit that like to be seen at church. Committees, groups, clubs where the originally helpful idea is buried under the backbiting, infighting, nest feathering of the 'altruistic' volunteers.

allen-uk

I have heard an argument which claims an evolutionary place for altruism, certainly in anthropological terms, viz. a family or a tribe which is kind and caring is more likely to survive as a coherent unit than one which is not.

Don't be put off by the sh!t rising to the top of the barrel, as it has done since Thatcher (shorthand only). Eventually it will sink without trace.

A.

Arch

Married to Night Train
yello said:
As a related aside,when did 'do gooder' become a derogatory term?

I don't know, but I'd have guessed that 'do gooder' has always been derogatory. If you mean well, you say 'philanthropist' or similar.

Top Bottom