Altura night vision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash68

yep, I've got the yellow waterproof as well. Been fine so far and agree the reflectives really do work.Be happy to buy another one when this wears out. As has been mentioned the windproof ones look good as well.

Tynan

Veteran
Hairy Jock said:
Except that Freelander driver obviously or weren't you waring it :wacko:

accident was in September, I was in a blue short sleeved top

in broad sunny daylight with me in plumb primary coming down a wide lane of Roman straightness, nothing would have made that idiot have seen me I suspect

perhaps the Nightvision would have helped, who knows, although it would have been a damn sight too warm for it anyway

A

another_dave_b

Endura?

Another vote against Altura's zips.

I've got one of their Nevis jackets, the chest pocket zip has failed, main zip looking doubtful.

My next jacket is almost certainly going to be an Endura Gridlock (@ £50ish). Wiggle describes it as having 'YKK zips throughout.'

*EDIT*
If you're on a very tight budget, you could just wear a reflective safety vest (not built to last), over your existing black jacket.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have had a Altura Nevis for five year of regular riding, no problems with the zip and it is still waterproof, just getting a wee bit clarty, I would buy another with out hesitation.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Thanks for the advice guys ......Might just take Bonj's advice and get a vest, i like my black jacket and cant be arsed spending 50 quid on a jacket that will be too hot to wear in a couple of months. Reckon i might wait until late 08 and buy a hi Viz winter jacket then. At least that way ill get a good 5 or 6 month wear out of it.

A

another_dave_b

@Hairy Jock

Hairy Jock said:
I have had a Altura Nevis for five year of regular riding, no problems with the zip and it is still waterproof, just getting a wee bit clarty, I would buy another with out hesitation.

What does 'clarty' mean?

(I think 'showerproof' might be fairer description of the Nevis' abilities. :biggrin:)

Tynan

Veteran
clarty is a northern monkey word for smelly I think

I'm in a LS and gillet now, just not cold enough anymore (at the mo) for the Nightvision, even going home late, got an ancient pertex top in the pannier for rain, the Nightvision is too bulky

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
'Clarty' means dirty / filthy (at least that's how it's used in my family).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
another_dave_b said:
@Hairy Jock

What does 'clarty' mean?

(I think 'showerproof' might be fairer description of the Nevis' abilities. ;))

You must have heavier showers than we get here Scotland them... and I is no a fair weather cyclist;)

goo_mason said:
'Clarty' means dirty / filthy (at least that's how it's used in my family).

That what I have always understood it to mean...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I bought a pair of Altura Night Vision gloves at Christmas - they're great. Very warm, nice long cuffs and great reflective detail. So far they've proved both wind and waterproof, though I've not had a full 30+ minute downpour when riding to test that fully....

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Quick update.

Whilst trawling the web i came across a Hi Viz jacket on JJB's website for a tenner. Thought ....its worth a punt, so bought it.

It was more running specific than cycling specific. But hey ho

It arrived today and it looks ok. It is bright yellow and has a large JJB logo on the back in 3m type stuff - it lights up really well.
It has two side pockets (zippered) a drop tail and cuff adjusters. Its showerproof but rain proofing was never the big issue it was more a need for visibility for me.

All in all for a tenner im chuffed, it will do the job on the few remaining weeks of winter.

Thanks for all the posts guys

A

another_dave_b

Hairy Jock said:
You must have heavier showers than we get here Scotland them... and I is no a fair weather cyclist;)

I most certainly am a fair weather cyclist, but a decidedly grim hour spent travelling from Kingsclere to Reading, protected from the elements by my cheery little Nevis, left me soaked to the skin, and gave a formally white teeshirt an unbecoming dappling of florescent yellow. As a windbreaker, it's super :rolleyes:

Top Bottom