Altura Pocket Rocket waterproof wrinkles when wet and I get wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had to use my Pocket Rocket for only the second time today. Oddly, as soon as it got wet, it went very wrinkly. When I got home, my jersey was soaking wet too, so it doesn't appear to be very waterproof any more either. Like I said its only the second time its been worn. It has been washed once, in a 30 degree non bio wash (same as all my bike gear).

Is it knackered now and only fit for the bin?

lamby

I have had a pocket rocket for over a year now and not had this problem,I haven't put it in the washing machine I just hose it when it needs a wash, so maybe you have damaged it wh
en putting it in the machine.

Zakalwe

The perfume in detergent can affect the water repellant coating. Try tumble drying it on a medium heat for half an hour or so, you might be ale to re set the coating and bring the proofing back to life.

potsy

Rambler
I ruined my Montane by washing it with detergent, didn't realise it would take off the water repellency.
You can buy stuff to re-proof them, worked Ok on mine, certainly made it better anyway.

Now I use soap flakes or techno wash only on all my water-proof clothing :thumbsup:

lb81

I use nikwax tech wash for my waterproof stuff. There is one to clean it and another for the repelancy... Pretty cheap on line or in a go-outdoors if you have one near...

OP
OP
G

guttertrash

Über Member
Hi folks. Just bringing this one back to life.

Washed the jacket a couple of weeks ago in the Tech Wash, and then in TX.Direct. The inside of the jacket now feels a bit 'waxy'.

I used the jacket again today, and it still goes wrinkly when it gets wet, and frankly looks a bit ridiculous. Once dry it looks ok again but if you hold it up to the light, you can see lots of cracks, like a crazy paving effect in the material. I'm beginning to think its beyond help which I'm not happy about considering it cost me about £60 and only been worn a handful of times.

albion

Guru
Always use DP soap flakes and preferably hand wash.
After they disappeared from my local supermarket I now rely on WIlkinsons for them.

At £1.30 they are cheap too.

Top Bottom