Altura zips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
In recent threads I have been defending Altura when others have been making comments about the zips they use in their jackets. This was based on my experience of an Altura Nevis jacket which I have had for over five.

Recently I bought a new Altura Nevis jacket, and I take it all back, the zip is rubbish :rolleyes: it keep coming apart from the bottom. I am going to take it back to the shop and get my money back. Don't buy Altura cycle jackets the zips are rubbish.:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
the zip itself is alright on my NV so far but the toggle snapped after a week

using a PI gillet now and the zip is clearly rock solid and robust and makes the Altura one look effeminate like it's supposed to be invisible or something

Bigtallfatbloke

The only zip on my Night vision that is failing is the chest pocket...but it shouldnt I've only had it a few months. other than that i like the jacket.

A

another_dave_b

Let us know what jacket you settle on as a replacement.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
One on my Altura jacket hasnt broken. Got it in September and not had a problem. Its been annoying sometimes when i have wanted to zip or unzip, but only a couple of times.
Not sure which Altura jacket it is though. :wacko:

SamNichols

I've not had a problem with the main zip, but the pocket zip broke on the back pocket of my Kinetic (leaving me down twenty quid). So, i guess it is a bit of a recurring problem. The reflective transfers on the back also peel away quite quickly.

Tynan

Veteran
ain't wearing mine now anyway, now it's got over a few degrees in the morning, have to say that I prefer to be a bit chilly early doors than sweaty later on

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mine Night Vision been in daily use since Oct (I think), the only problem that I have had is the back reflective bit lifting slightly, and the main zip, some of the reflective coating on it is cracking and coming off. All zips still working.

RufusA

Über Member
I've got an Altura Urban Dryline pannier.

I bet you'll never guess which is the *only* part to have failed on it after approx 6 months use.

Wow - you guessed - it's the zip!

Waterproofing - fine.
Pannier clip - fine.
Fastening clip, pockets etc. - as new.
Zip - totally fubared

Seeing as the zip is the part that has the least strain, all it has to do is secure a flap that covers the pannier clip. I've probably opened / closed it less than 100 times.

WHY CAN'T THEM MAKE ZIPS?

Rufus.

SamNichols

I've always thought it might be a problem based around comparative cost. There may be a reason that Altura work out cheaper than every one else: perhaps it is simply that things aren't made as well. Hence one of the reasons that i now buy endura: a bit more expensive, but not nearly as disposable as altura.

ak88

Same happened to my Nevis I bought last year - came apart at the bottom. When looking at a replacement, I couldn't get myself to buy another altura as they all seem to use that same brand zip. Moved over to an Endura which uses YKK zips throughout - so far so good.

Abitrary

-The first time I put my nevis on, and tightened the waist cord, it broke.
-The main zip broke at the bottom a bit after.
-The toggle on the breast zip broke off after that
-The toggle on the main zip gave up soon after that

These jackets are reliable to the extent that you can set your watch by the intervals that stuff goes wrong with them.

Top Bottom