Altus FD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,
I have just bought an Altus FD. There is a little stick in the box. What is it for? Any idea? The manual doesn't help
20200621_130005.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could be a gauge of some sort? Another than that I don’t have a clue.

New one on me too.

Only weird thing about the Altus FD that I’ve heard about is there are two different models dependent upon the angle between your chainstays and seat tube angle (as indicated on your box).

I would expect clear information from Shimano but this pdf is disappointing

Attachments

• UM-5NL0A-005-0R.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 4
Looking at the pdf I linked to above, it seems to be used to help get the correct spacing between the chainring teeth and derailleur cage on initial installation - so not critical.

I think I’ve got it. It’s a peg that jams the cage in the position for the large chainring so you can set the height correctly above it without having to attach the cable or hold it in position with your hand.
Yes, that's pretty much it - just to hold two bits apart.
Essentially useless.
Next question, what can folks think to do with it that is more useful?
Some shimano front mechs also have a thin bit of clear tape with red markings on to serve as a guide to how to mount them in relation to the chainwheel teeth.
That's not that vital either.
For instructions on mounting a front mech i would recommend, as aways, the park tools blue book.
Have got a few of those mechs. Decent if not as tough as some. Cost me £6 to £7 or so i think.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It holds the mech out whilst you attach the FD to the frame and align the cage parallel to big ring, the red sticker is for getting the height right. Once the mech is securely bolted and aligned you can remove it, and get on with attaching the gear cable.

Top Bottom