Alvor.........Portugal. Anyone been? what to see, what to do ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Our 50th anniversary. Was hoping to do Croatia but nothing really ticked all the boxes (thanks to those who offered suggestions).
Have now booked a hotel 10 minutes walk outside Alvor. Trip advisor reviews all look good. There is a good cycle hire shop close by. Plenty of restaurants etc.
Just wondering if any CCrs have been there and can offer suggestions about, well, anything.
Thanks

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5078608, member: 45"]We've visited a number of times over the last 15 years. It's a very pretty fishing village with loads of character, and a recently modernised section of seafront. It's suffered a bit from the many local golf resorts and does have a few too many Irish pubs/restaurants these days mainly on the main street down to the water, but amongst these are also some very nice and/or very traditional Portugese restaurants.

It's a good base anyway for exploring the Algarve. I'd recommend a trip to Lagos which, while being one of the bigger resorts still has beautiful tiled shops and cobbled streets. Take a trip inland and upwards to the castle at Silves or Monchique right up in the mountains. We've taken to staying in Carvoeiro, which is another nice little place not far from Alvor.[/QUOTE]
Should I hire a car for those inland trips.....and for Lagos or will public transport do ?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
As @User has said, Alvor is a pretty village (although we last stayed there ~10 years ago) - we normally stayed in Praia da Rocha, which is closer to Portimao and has better transport links/choice of restaurants/shopping etc. Public transport was cheap (and taxis surprisingly cheap too). Good bus service from Portimao up to Monchique, from where you can walk to Foia, the highest point in the Algarve; used to be all mountain paths, but now mainly tarmac'd, due to over-generous EU funding! Another thumbs up to Silves and Lagos, both reachable by train (bit of a walk from Silves station, ~2km, but a damn sight less than so-called Albufeira station to Albufeira!). Don't know if it's still as good, but Dona Barca's in Portimao stood out as a friendly and great value restaurant - I'm still regularly asked to cook Atum com cebola (Tuna with onions) which we first encountered there. On balance, you're a bit of a way from readily accessible public transport links (Alvor station is ~4km from Alvor), so a hire car is probably advisable.
It's a good birdwatching area, particularly the peninsula to the W of Alvor, which is protected, and looked after by the A Rocha Christian group - I've only been there in summer, when there are various warblers to be found, plus e.g. Black-necked Stilt, Kentish Plover, Azure-winged Magpie, Black-winged Kite etc., etc. A walk along the coastal path to Praia da Rocha takes you past a small abandoned sand quarry which is home to a nesting colony of Bee-eaters - we also saw a Montpellier Snake, which shot across our path like a catapulted broomstick. This is probably why Mrs Poacher has gone off the Algarve in favour of Madeira...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have stayed in Alvor and always hire a car. There is an AV rental car place in Alvor.

You are not far from Penina Golf Club and its a nice place to drop in for a snack. a good day trip is to Cape St. Vincent. Lots of beaches and cliff walks along the way.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have stayed in Alvor and always hire a car. There is an AV rental car place in Alvor.

You are not far from Penina Golf Club and its a nice place to drop in for a snack. a good day trip is to Cape St. Vincent. Lots of beaches and cliff walks along the way.
Many thanks.
Not taking my clubs but like to call in and get momentos for a few guys I regularly play with.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Many thanks.
Not taking my clubs but like to call in and get momentos for a few guys I regularly play with.
It' not that an exciting course to play. I have fond memories of it. I walked round with Seve Ballesteros playing a practice round with the President of Portugal. Some of the shots Seve played were stunning. Good place for moment is though.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Things to do in Alvor.

Fantastic huge beach. Keep the sea on your right and head towards the rocks in the sea. Go through the gap on the beach and you will find a fantastic little bar / restaurant.

Go for a walk around the conservation area along the decking.

Get down to the harbour early in the morning and watch the fishing boats unloading. On Sunday there is a farmers market around the fisherman's huts selling lots of locally produced goods.

Lots of nice places to eat in the village if you keep away from the tourist traps including Racula, Tasca, The Green Door and GastroBar 13 for evening meals. Big Reds Steakhouse just out of the village does cracking steaks. We also like the cocktail bar on the hill on the way down to the front.

We use the local buses to get around but taxis are fairly cheap as you can but a 10 trip ticket for around 8 Euros.

If you want the British experience then there are plenty of places that will sell you a Full English and a pint of Guinness.

Wander around and discover a great fishing village where the local are friendly and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Top Bottom