ALWAYS carry a chain link tool!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
First ride of a newly put together bike this morning. Chain a bit jumpy, checked for a tight link but no so thought probably needing new jockey wheels. It's a used 6sp block that is not worn at all and a new chain.
Climbing up into Swanley village, chain on the road. Looking at the chain the inner link plate must have broken. . . . It [was] a brand new Shimano chain btw.

For some added context to this, did you join the chain yourself, and how? Can you tell whether the break occured where you had (assumed) pushed in the pin?
I guess you, not irrationally, assume that because that inner link plate is missing it "must have broken" failing at the pin which is still in place.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
For some added context to this, did you join the chain yourself, and how? Can you tell whether the break occured where you had (assumed) pushed in the pin?
I guess you, not irrationally, assume that because that inner link plate is missing it "must have broken" failing at the pin which is still in place.
I joined it using a standard Parktool extractor.
Not sure but the remaining outer plate has a bit of a burr on the outside. It was a bit tight pushing the pin in. I've joined chains a thousand times but my hand is up.... maybe over familiarity made me a bit sloppy😞

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I have had two plates fail at the pin. I had not pushed in the pin in either case - I shorten chains and then rejoin them with quicklinks.

Broken chain link.jpg

Broken chain link.jpg

(I had pushed the pin in in the second example to remove the broken link.)

faster

Über Member
That chain has snapped because you've joined it by pushing the pin back in.

Forum consensus seems to be that you can just push the pin back in on anything 9-speed or less, but this isn't the case. In order to join a chain reliably on anything 6-speed or over, you need to use a quick link. I have no idea whether or not 5 speed chains can be joined without a quick link.

Yes, you might get away with it for a while if you're either very light or possess weak legs, but it's only a matter of time.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis

Forum consensus seems to be that you can just push the pin back in on anything 9-speed or less, but this isn't the case. In order to join a chain reliably on anything 6-speed or over, you need to use a quick link. I have no idea whether or not 5 speed chains can be joined without a quick link.

Yes, you might get away with it for a while if you're either very light or possess weak legs, but it's only a matter of time.

Even though I've done it loads of times without problem, Iooks like I have passed the 99 times of being ok and it's now broken so yes I'll be using a quick link now

Ajax Bay

Guru

Just in case people come along and read this comment (above).
You don't know why the chain snapped.
Shimano chains (eg 9sp) specifically come with a pin to join the chain, having cut it to length. And doing this properly is entirely reliable, but this join method carries more risk for the less experienced - I guess cyclists self-categorise - but please say "I need to use a quick link" not assert "you need to . . . ". That's why most people use a 'quick link' to join their chain (of nearly every width).

I note @faster says "I have no idea whether or not 5 speed chains can be joined without a quick link" - thank you for that contribution (of course a "5sp chain" can be joined without a quick link: how on earth do you think cyclists managed for decades in the twentieth century and indeed to this day?).

For this thread, note that the OP has a 6sp block so their chain will be a 6-8sp chain.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
This quick link can be used on a 6/7/8sp chain: https://www.freewheel.co.uk/shimano-sm-ug51-quick-link-for-chain-6-7-8-speed-pack-of-2-smug51

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Indeed quick links for joining chains is a relatively recent thing. Pin out and back has worked reliably for decades as above.

D

Deleted member 1258

Indeed quick links for joining chains is a relatively recent thing. Pin out and back has worked reliably for decades as above.

Its what I've done reliably for years starting at 5 speed in the 1980's, I only started using a link when I got my first modern 2x10 speed set up, would have been about 2015.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Also you need the plastic screw end for a QR axle. I lost one in long grass while fixing a puncture. There is nothing in the tool box, in nature or on your person. That you can use to replace it. You cannot even canibilise your bike and the next dozen cyclists coming by, will not have a spare. If you lose it you are screwed. Or at least I was.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Also you need the plastic screw end for a QR axle. I lost one in long grass while fixing a puncture. There is nothing in the tool box, in nature or on your person. That you can use to replace it. You cannot even canibilise your bike and the next dozen cyclists coming by, will not have a spare. If you lose it you are screwed. Or at least I was.
Interesting you say that, Steve. I carry these two items for that (a nylok nut and a washer) in my 'in case' tiny plastic bag of useful items:
1654437009263.png

Top Bottom