ALWAYS carry a chain link tool!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
First ride of a newly put together bike this morning. Chain a bit jumpy, checked for a tight link but no so thought probably needing new jockey wheels. It's a used 6sp block that is not worn at all and a new chain.
Climbing up into Swanley village, chain on the road. Looking at the chain the inner link plate must have broken. Anyway I'm sat on the bank while ms TF rides home to get the car🤬

20220603_080607.jpg

20220603_080411.jpg

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Always carry one as its part of my multi tool.
Thankfully in all my years of cycling I've only ever had to use it once when the derailleur decided to eat it self.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
+1 for a multitool.
I've only had to do one chain bodge but that was in freezing rain blowing parallel to the ground & without my reading specs but it got me home!

Good morning,

As you go up the number of sprockets you may also need to carry a quick link and I am one of those people who always seems to break things.

So keeping a quick link safe is a bit of a challenge for me. :smile:

I broke a 10 speed chain recently and got the link out of the mini tool box that I carry to find it bent and unusable!

Another reason to stay with primitive tech:smile:, you can just rejoin the chain using the existing rivet.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I was actually feeling really good as well. The sun is out, not a breath of wind, "new" bike that felt really good🙄
It's a brand new Shimano chain btw.

• Hugs
Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
9 speed you can still fix if you don’t have a quick link. Only fixed chains 3 times in all this time, thus it’s a risk vs. impact assessment. Not that a chain tool weighs much.

D

Deleted member 1258

I always carry a chain tool as a broken chain will bring the ride to a premature end if you can't fix it, but I can't remember the last time I needed one by the roadside, I've only ever broken chains about two or three times, the last one a long time ago, I did have a rare problem with a new chain on the fixed a couple of winters ago but that held until I got home, I found it when I checked the bike over after the ride, the chain was being held together by half a link.

Sharky

Guru
I know it's never too early🍻 but unfortunately it was 8am!

Just looked it up. They only open at noon, so you would have had a long wait. The Red Lion used to be one of our locals, when we lived at Hextable. Now the latter is a strange village. There is some old covenent on the parish, banning the sale of alcohol on it! So there are a few pubs just outside the boundary.

presta

Guru
I've only ever had one chain break.
I'd pulled in behind a parked car to let the oncoming traffic through, then when I stepped on the pedal setting off I felt something give, followed by tinkles each time it went through the derailleur. I carry a chain tool, but being as the broken plate was stopping the good plate from falling out, I decided to carefully ride it 5 miles home rather than getting my hands greasy at the side of the road.

If a roadside repair is going to take nearly as long as going home, I generally prefer to do the job in the garage, with work clothes, and somewhere to wash.

Top Bottom