am i being daft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Ranger said:
From my experience (a long time ago) those not living in Halls in the first term seemed to miss out on a lot of the social aspects of Uni and never really seemed to catch up on that aspect of life away.

However that might have just been my perception of it
+1. Definitely halls for first years. Those who live off campus really miss out on the crucial early socials which are often for halls only plus the talk about them the next morning! It's probably even harder for the ones who live at home.

Also, sharing with someone you already know might not push your boundaries for meeting new people (although I notice you will be at different establishments).

PBancroft

Ranger said:
From my experience (a long time ago) those not living in Halls in the first term seemed to miss out on a lot of the social aspects of Uni and never really seemed to catch up on that aspect of life away.

However that might have just been my perception of it

Yep. I never lived in halls and feel I really missed out on a key part of Uni.

That said, after Uni I bought a house earlier than my friends, got married sooner and started building savings whilst they were still in debt. Maybe, just maybe, living on your own resolve teaches responsibility faster.

Or maybe I'm not responsible at all and just been damned lucky.:laugh:

montage

God Almighty
Halls first year - gain some new really close mates, then move in with friend + maybe some of those mates second year.
Win Win

TVC

It's a few years since I was at Poly, (before Kovu was born in fact), but I have to echo what others say. Go for halls in the first year, it's easier to settle into the new independent life with a large group of similar people around you, and you give yourself much more opportunity to make new friends.
What nobody realises when they go up to Uni is how much they are going to change and grow as a person in the first six months, certainly I remember being back home with all my old school mates at the end of the first year and it was obvious as to who had gone away and who had stayed at home and got jobs.
Be prepared to grow apart from the people you know at the moment and be open to new ways of doing stuff - Halls, it makes sense.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Beer is much, much, much cheaper in Halls. I used to be able to buy a pint of Teltey for 79 pence - 73 if you brought your own pint glass.

Other than that - house means sharing, and finding people you can share with. This is a REAL minefield. Even sharing with someone you know well can be a problem. Otherwise you end up with some weird person who no-one else will share with.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I spent first term in halls but very soon moved out. Was only a small hall about 15 students and PE education students did not tolerate the 2 Art students (me being 1) in there. Moved in with some other Art students in a house that was split up into single and double flats with shared kitchens and bathrooms on each of the 3 floors.
I didn't miss out on any of the social aspects of being a student, out of halls. In fact I got more interaction social and otherwise:tongue::tongue::evil: out of the control of the college authorities. And still went to college (not Uni then was a Poly) functions. Saw many brill bands and used bars for cheap beer. Got a 2-2 the drinkers degree.
Only 2 students who got a 1st on my course never spent any time in halls:thumbsup:.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
BrumJim said:
Beer is much, much, much cheaper in Halls. I used to be able to buy a pint of Teltey for 79 pence - 73 if you brought your own pint glass.

Other than that - house means sharing, and finding people you can share with. This is a REAL minefield. Even sharing with someone you know well can be a problem. Otherwise you end up with some weird person who no-one else will share with.

Ha! When I was at Leeds University, a crate of beer used to cost £2.04 from the student bar and full board in Devonshire Hall was £20 per week. I spent my first two weeks at university in temporary accommodation - the Library at Boddington Hall and still have some of the folk that I met there as friends.

My younger son chose to stay at home rather than go into student digs or halls and didn't associate with his fellow students when he started his degree at Leeds met. Everything unravelled and he dropped out at the end of the first term.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The end of grants and the increase in tuition fees has meant that a lot of students find commuting from home to their local Uni is the only financial option.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
guitarpete247 said:
The end of grants and the increase in tuition fees has meant that a lot of students find commuting from home to their local Uni is the only financial option.

Believe me we were keen enough for younger son to leave for us to offer to pay for his accommodation - just so that he could sample independence for the first time just like his parents and older brother.

Selfish little git chose to stay at home and is still here with us :biggrin:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Kovu said:
Going to Uni in September. No matter how much I look through it I swear going for private accomadation as opposed to living in halls works out cheaper! :biggrin:

Too many of us oldies are getting off the track of the OP. Reliving our youth.
Not a bad thing;).

No I don't think you're daft. Are you going to be close to the social life of Uni or are you going to commute in for lectures then leave? Will you have any contact, other than in lectures with other students. I was never far away from the main college action but some students we only saw through the course of the day.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Why not do what I did, all those years ago... go to the totally wrong uni, following your gonads after your childhood sweetheart, live with her whilst trying to make friends and get into your chosen subject, argue a lot then split up at the end of the first year, leaving yourself out on a limb looking for accommodation with total strangers :evil:

Seriously though, go to (non-catered) halls for your first year, then get private accomm with your friends (but be good to your neighbours) :biggrin:

I was never in halls, and I had a great time in my first year. I don't feel I missed out on any social aspects of Uni ("Poly", as it was then) as I made plenty of friends on my course, some of whom I spent the next three years trying to get away from.:evil: If you already have someone you can share a flat with, I'd say go for it: the advantages of being able to do what you like at all times ar outweigh any advantages of being in halls, in my opinion.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I made some lifelong friends in my first year in halls, had a ball. Was in private for the second year for £7 a week with four girls - also had a ball. Abroad for year 3 then back n a self-contained 5 room flat in new halls for year 4.

M&B Springfield Bitter was 25 pence a pint. Food and other costs were £10 a week.

*sigh*

Top Bottom