Am I being thick!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MARKE020272

Got a new road bike, first for about 20 years. Things have changed a bit!. Trying to take the wheel out. Release the brake quick release lever (it's a Secteur Sport) on the brake caliper. If I then try and take the wheel out the brake pads haven't come far away enough from the rims to take the wheel out. I still need to undo the brake cable so that I can get the wheel out!. This seems to make the quick release a bit pointless. Am I being a bit thick and doing something wrong. Thanks

battered

Guru
Strange. Are you sure the release lever is working properly? Also it wouldn't be the first time that someone has set up the brakes with the QR in the "loose" position, you ride it around like thatwithout incident then when you operate it to try to release the weheel it just takes up the slack and the wheel wpn't come off.

OP
OP
M

MARKE020272

It seems to move the pads away from the rims about a millimetre when I use the QR. Seems that it is in the correct position while riding. It was setup when I bought the bike from Evans.

potsy

Rambler
HLaB said:
What size of tyres are on the secteur, for a while on the Kinesis (my road bike) I had a 25mm rear which was a bit tight with the QR open.
think Hlab could be right,I have 23's on mine and they come out fine but will be tight with the 25's on.

OP
OP
M

MARKE020272

Yes, the sectuer does have 700*25C tyres on it. Guess I'll just need to keep my allen key handy. At least I'm not thick!.

Broadside

Guru
I use the 25's that came with my Secteur Sport and can confirm the QR levers do not open the calipers far enough. The only way you will get the wheel off is with the tyre deflated.

It's a naff design but the usual reason for taking the wheel off is to mend a puncture so the tyre will be flat anyway, just remember to refit the wheel before inflating.

My guess is that the QR levers were designed with 23 Tyres in mind so the 25's on the Secteur Sport are a tad too wide.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Just give the wheel a good wallop.

OP
OP
M

MARKE020272

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I was taking the wheels off was that my wife didn't want to drive my car and the sectuer fits perfectly in the Auris with the wheels off. I'll let down the tyres and take the track pump in her car as needed in future.

battered

Guru
Seems fair. My old 80s steel frame road bike has no QR brakes but the frame geometry and diagonal dropouts are such that the rear wheel fouls the frame on the way out. It's not a big headache.

Top Bottom