Am I being too ambitious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reece

Veteran
Been doing the 2.4mile round trip commute for 13months now. Just recently started upping the mileage with a good 14.5mile ride Saturday with a 14mph average speed.

Now the bug has bitten, I want to ride the Leicester to Skegness ride next year around June time for charity.

I imagine with right training and regular riding I should be ok. Looking at joining a local club to get into longer rides and also to be with likeminded people.

What you guys think? Also if anyone could recommend any sort of training that might help me I'd be grateful.

Well done on your ride.
Well theres no reason you cant manage the ride, just put in some miles really its all I do, ( I am off to do half that distance this afternoon, with no more training than I have put in the miles) and it will get easier the further from Leicester you are.
Though others will advise you better than me what you need

You should be fine. If I can do it, you can.
I used to commute 15 miles daily and went off and cycled 800 miles in 2 weeks on camping tour. got the bug badly and quit everything, sold everything and went off to cycle tour for 12 months covering 8,700miles (the plan was longer but plans don't always work). I'm a moderatlely severe asthmatic with a number of other medical issues as well.

Just get the distances up slowly, lengthen the commute to work being the easiest option and start some gym work (you need to look at overall fitness not just your leg muscles) or take up swimming. You have plenty of time between now and then to be amply fit enough for to be able to enjoy it rather than suffer! Just ensure you have a rest day each week, your body needs time to recover as much as it does exercise.

Longshot

I started riding again in February in order to do the London2Brighton overnight ride in July. Once, maybe twice a week... I started at 11 miles and built up to doing 15/20/25 mile rides. I had to give up for 8 weeks due to an injury.

I successfully completed the 66 mile route in July quite happily and comfortably. I'm sorry to say I walked up Ditchling Beacon and that mountain outside Coulsdon but otherwise was OK.

If I can do it I'm sure you can. Best of luck!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Too ambitious ?? No way !! ^_^

You'll manage that with plenty to spare - really ! :thumbsup:

As has been said, start where you are, add about 10% distance each week, take an easy week 1 in 4-5, build up the distance and you'll not just make it - you'll enjoy it. :wahhey:

There have been lots of posts similar to this on CC, most found in the Health, Fitness and Training section. Have a look and read the threads which are in a similar vein to yours - there's lots of good info there.

One other thing - pay close attention to your 'fuelling' (eating and drinking) on any ride beyond about 30 mins. You should take a drink (sip-sip) from a water bottle every 20 mins or so and have a bite to eat (something you like and easily digestible - flapjack-type things are good) each 40 - 60 mins. This will give you the energy to keep on going and to avoid 'hitting the wall/ bonking' (running out of energy and having to stop).

Keep us updated ! :bicycle:

OP
OP
Reece

Reece

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies. Today I turned the 1.2 mile journey home into a 7.1mile ride and enjoyed more than just cycling the usual 5mins. Only took me 36mins so thinking of doing this Monday's and Wednesday's then riding Saturday morning longer route then a club ride on a Sunday morning when I've joined. Then possibly add another day in the future.

The good thing about the club ride on a sunday is there is an earlier ride that then meets the usual ride so once my distance/fitness is you can merge them together to get more miles in. They also have a longer ride on a Saturday that goes in two groups for different abilities.

Already a gym goer for basic weight training 3daya a week but recently quit smoking so need to clear these lungs out.

Right off to browse the health and fitness forum lol!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Setting yourself a goal is important as it gives you something to work towards with a definite date in mind. My first goal was to ride Birmingham to Bristol for my mates birthday (he lives in Bristol). It was 96miles and I was 16st at the time, and had been cycling for about 4months by that point. I was knackered by about 60miles in, but stuck it out and made it down with time to spare. He treated me to a slap up pasta meal and a beer or two and then I got the train home (pre-booked).

As for training, you need to get the miles in without question. Start your rides getting longer and longer, don't worry about speed right now, but endurance is key to doing a long event. Club rides are a good idea, but make sure you go in the right group as you don't want to be hanging onto the back of the gang and knackering yourself out. Better to go slower to start with and enjoy it and build those base miles.

Best of luck with it...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
You're doing great. Finding someone to ride with (particularly through the approaching season) is always a plus. If nothing else, just a spare lamp and set of hands to point at whatever nasty one or other of you picks up in your tyres can help :smile:

Enviable times, friend. You have many adventures ahead :smile:

Top Bottom