Am I breaking the law?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I had an interesting exchange of view with a young lady driver late this afternoon who was adamant that I was breaking the law. I would be obliged for your opinion.

I work at the Cathedral end of South Street in St Andrews, Scotland. To commute home I ride the length of South Street to the West Port Arch (part of the city wall) where I alight and push my bike, when safe to do so, under the arch way (about 3 steps) before remounting and negotiating the roundabout just beyond.

I am obliged to alight because of 2 'No Entry' signs. This is a road safety measure because the archway is just wide enough for a single vehicle. There is a pavement, which I could take but elect not to as it is a busy thoroughfare. I always alight because to cycle against the traffic flow would be extremely foolhardy and throughly dangerous, not to mention illegal. :-)

The young lady stated that I was breaking the law because the No Entry signs prohibited vehicular access through the archway. It is my contention that having alighted from my bike I am classed as a pedestrian, my bike therefore cannot be considered, in the circumstance, as a vehicle so I am not breaking any law.

Am I correct?

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
It's a very fine line, and IANAL, but if you are pushing your bike through on the pavement, then I'd guess you were ok..

Reactions: ACS

midlife

Guru
In law once you step of the bike you are a pedestrian, the bike is irrelevant. The rub is that the case applies only from stepping off the pavement to cross the road to the other pavement. However the bike is not a vehicle.

If its safe and sensible then I'd carry on :smile:

Shaun

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
In law once you step of the bike you are a pedestrian, the bike is irrelevant. The rub is that the case applies only from stepping off the pavement to cross the road to the other pavement. However the bike is not a vehicle.

If its safe and sensible then I'd carry on :smile:

Shaun
Hmmm, so pushing my bike along a rural road that has no pavement is unlawful?

That would mean walking up hills is not allowed!

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
It's a very fine line, and IANAL, but if you are pushing your bike through on the pavement, then I'd guess you were ok..

Interesting point, the bike remains on the road, however, there is a section of broad kerbstone that I walk along, classing this as a pavement would be a moot point .

Last edited:
What colour and shape was the sign?

If it's one of these.

image.jpg

Nothing to worry about

If it's one of these.

image.jpg

Strictly speaking, if you were on the bike as you crossed the entry, she'd have a point, but seriously, balls, if that's all she's got to worry about, tell her to jog on and get a life.

Last edited:
Circular, red background with a broad white horizontal bar. No words.

See above.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Once you alight from your cycle and push it/carry it you can go where you like in a public place because it then becomes no different as if you had a bag of shopping!!

andyfraser

Über Member
IANAL and don't know, but...

It's illegal to cycle in Swindon town centre in the pedestrianised bit. You can get a fine and everything (if there was ever anyone there with the authority to issue a fine). You can walk a bike however. You need to if you want to park in some of the cycle parks. Also, it'd be a real bitch to get across town otherwise so...

My gut feeling is it's not illegal but, as I said, IANAL and this isn't legal advice.

Top Bottom