Am I expecting too much? Kona Rove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WxmWoody

I rode basic bikes as a boy, 10 years ago bought a budget 18 speed MTB from the supermarket for £100 which was great for short rides into town. Now I live in the mountains and have the time to devote time to cycling.
Last week bought myself an entry level bike, which to me cost a fortune (it's worth more than my car). I decided on a Kona Rove AL/DL fantastic looking bike and seems to have the flexibility to add things if I get into touring.
I had a 4 hour round trip to pick up the bike, got it home and went for a ride. Immediately noticed front brake binding and front mudguard catching the tyre, ok easy 10 minute fix. Then when I'm on larger chainring of the 2 the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur when I'm using the 2 smallest cogs (2x9 setup).
I thought it would be an easy adjustment using derailleur adjustment screws, but it makes no difference. I contacted the shop who are saying this is how it's supposed to be, the problem is with me cross chaining.
I understand what cross chaining is and can lead to excessive wear, but surely on a new bike I should be able to use any gear available?

There's no point in cross chaining. You will have a very similar gear if you change at the front and go up or down the block.

You haven't got 18 separate gear to use - there's probably about 13 or so with 5 duplicates.

You can write down all the combinations and check it out for yourself.

OP
OP
W

WxmWoody

There's no point in cross chaining. You will have a very similar gear if you change at the front and go up or down the block.

You haven't got 18 separate gear to use - there's probably about 13 or so with 5 duplicates.

yes I think I've been been using the gearing incorrectly. My mistake, I think I understand it now

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Usually just the way it is.

Worse on smaller frames where the angle of the chain is tighter.

gcogger

I rode basic bikes as a boy, 10 years ago bought a budget 18 speed MTB from the supermarket for £100 which was great for short rides into town. Now I live in the mountains and have the time to devote time to cycling.
Last week bought myself an entry level bike, which to me cost a fortune (it's worth more than my car). I decided on a Kona Rove AL/DL fantastic looking bike and seems to have the flexibility to add things if I get into touring.
I had a 4 hour round trip to pick up the bike, got it home and went for a ride. Immediately noticed front brake binding and front mudguard catching the tyre, ok easy 10 minute fix. Then when I'm on larger chainring of the 2 the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur when I'm using the 2 smallest cogs (2x9 setup).
I thought it would be an easy adjustment using derailleur adjustment screws, but it makes no difference. I contacted the shop who are saying this is how it's supposed to be, the problem is with me cross chaining.
I understand what cross chaining is and can lead to excessive wear, but surely on a new bike I should be able to use any gear available?

Do you mean the larger chainring and 2 largest cogs (which would be cross chaining)? If you have rubbing with the larger chainring and the 2 smallest cogs, then something else is wrong.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Have you tried trimming the derailleur? It isn't always obvious that it's a thing but when on the big front ring if you lightly touch the small shift lever it should give you a little click which moves the shift inboard a little bit - enough to reduce chain rub but not enough to shift gears.

OP
OP
W

WxmWoody

Have you tried trimming the derailleur? It isn't always obvious that it's a thing but when on the big front ring if you lightly touch the small shift lever it should give you a little click which moves the shift inboard a little bit - enough to reduce chain rub but not enough to shift gears.

yes thanks for mentioning that. Tbh I'd never even heard of it but many YouTube videos later I realise I have this. I've spent the day trying to adjust the gearing so hopefully I'll get back out later today knowing a bit more. My lack of speaking Spanish hasn't helped with me buying a bike in Spain lol

Ajax Bay

Guru
when I'm on larger chainring of the 2 the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur when I'm using the 2 smallest cogs (2x9 setup)

What are trim options?
I'll ask again: "How many clicks have you got on your left hand Sora STI? I think you will have trim options."
I have a LH 9sp STI in my hand - the older Tiagra 4400 - they have 4 clicks (so 5 positions for the FD cage).
With your FD cable set at a bit of tension in your small ring this allows you to 'work your way across' to the large ring.
If in large/small (going fast) then the FD needs to be fully (4 clicks) across (limited by the H limit screw, unscrew if it is stopping the FD swinging across, pushed by hand)) and there should be about (max) 1mm gap 'tween chain and outer cage plate. The chain will not be rubbing. Problem solved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WxmWoody

If in large/small (going fast) then the FD needs to be fully (4 clicks) across (limited by the H limit screw, unscrew if it is stopping the FD swinging across, pushed by hand)) and there should be about (max) 1mm gap 'tween chain and outer cage plate. The chain will not be rubbing. Problem solved.

Yes this is exactly the problem. Earlier today I've done what you have suggested above. I've just been on another ride and it's better but not perfect. I think I may need to just increase the tension in the cable a tiny amount to push the FD out because there's no more adjustment in the screw.
Tbh it's probably helped having a problem on day 1 because I've got to know the bike better

Top Bottom