Am I mad? Bike change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Syphon

Hi,

I currently have a Kona Dew Hybrid bike that I use to commute to work. It's 5 miles each way on nice smooth tarmac.

I recently bought MBR magazine and saw a review for the KHS Alite 2000 mountain bike. After looking into the bike I've seen the 3000 is available for £150 more.

I'm considering having a go at some more off road stuff - nothing heavy, but was considering switching to the Alite 3000 and selling my hybrid.

Would this be a big mistake? 80% of my bike use will remain commuting.

I've been in contact with KHS and they say the Alite will be fine on the road as its quite light, and if I'm worried I can always get some thinner tyres for when I'm commuting.

3000 review

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

jay clock

Massive member
Have 2 bikes?

OP
OP
S

Syphon

jay clock said:
Have 2 bikes?

Hi. I did consider that but 1) wifey's already not impressed with the space my cycling stuff takes up ;) and 2) I could do with the cash from the sale of the Kona.

By your suggestion I guess you think ditching the hybrid would be a mistake?

Cheers

battered

Guru
The MTB will be OK for a 5 mile commute. Not as quick as the hybrid but OK. Fit slicks for the commute if necessary.

All I would say is that you won't get that much for the Kona and you would be better off buying a SH MTB and having 2 bikes. When I used to have 1 bike for all seasons the wear rate was terrifying. Essentially I would fill the moving parts up with mud and grit at the weekend then spend all week grinding it in before refilling it next weekend. New derailleur, wheel bearings, freewheel hub, chain... I now have a MTB that does off road alone and a roady that never goes off road. Guess what? The roady stays clean and so wears out slowly, the MTB does fewer miles so the fact that it's immersed in mud half its life is less critical.

OP
OP
S

Syphon

Cheers - makes sense, sorry not up with the lingo yet - what does the SH stand for - suspension hardtail?

I never see myself jumping off rocks or anything like that but looking to go on trails - beginner / intermediate - would the 3000 be overkill? All the reviews for this and the 2000 say they punch well above their weight for the price.

Ta

g00se

Veteran
Looking at that review, the 3000 is 11.8kg - which is going to be similar in weight to the Kona. So with slicks, and locked out front suspension, it will make a reasonable commuter. But 'battered' is right about the wear if you use it for both.

Time to butter up the other half and keep them both ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
Definitely worth going for the two bike option for the reasons already given, you'll need to use your best persuasive talk to get your wife to agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

battered

Guru
Plan B:
Get some 700c knobblies, cyclo cross style, on the Kona and start thrashing it about on a few trails as if you're a 'crosser. Carry on commuting. Put some money on one side.

One year on: "Evening love. Good day at work? Yeah, mine was OK. Bike's sick though. Bloke at the bike shop says they don't last for ever. Suppose it has been doing that towpath route for a year or two now, the mud gets to the moving parts. Guy in the shop says that it's probably OK for pottering about down the shops but if I carry on hammering it day in day out I'm in for some repair bills. Reckon it might be time to get a new 'un..."

Job done. :-)

Top Bottom