Am I seeking the impossible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
http://www.paper-bicycle.com/

Seems to answer everything on your wish list and well inside your price range.
That's my dream bike :girl:
I know the guy that makes them, he let me try one at the Scottish Bike Show last year.
It's about £ 900 though :sad:

porteous

Veteran

tyred

Legendary Member
I would build one myself. Peugeot Carbolites were made in step through lady's frame models, are usually cheap and would give a decent light(ish) frame as a base to start with.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Off the peg I make Mickle right and there's no way you're going to get what you want and match cheap/light/low maintenance. Even if you removed the budget restraint I can't see you getting a bike that weighed much under 30lbs. For example:-

for £3-4k you could put together a rohloff/dynamo combo on a lightweight frame but you'd struggle to get the bare bones in at much under 26lbs. Then you'd need to add another 5lbs for chaincase, mudguards, rack etc. The best you could do, and still spend a fortune, would be with a 3 speed hub gear but that then limits you for useage.

If price is the biggie then I'd look out for a secondhand frame with horizontal dropouts that could accommodate a hub gear wheel of your choice. But even then all the bits are going to mount up unless you're really lucky.

Personally I'd bite the bullet, spend a bit more and aim for something with a bit more versatility. Step outside your opening spec a bit and buy something off the peg that could be modified as parts wear out to match your needs. Maybe look for a cheap 26"/29er with the frame fittings you need and adjustable dropouts. I know Halfords had some good deals on Voodoo bikes as I nearly got one for one of my sons. If you get the adjustable dropouts then you can always fit a hub gear at a future point with minimal faff. Plus you have a bike that can be used for multiple purposes and maybe worth spending a few quid on some rigid forks as well.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Today I rode to town in leggings, boots, nice dress, nice jacket.
On a £140 "recycled" bike, mudguard, panniers, ice spikers.
Fancy handbag plus 3 gift bags in the panniers.
Where there's a will, there's a way :girl:

OP
OP
V

Vic123

do any of the vicky pendleton bikes fit the bill?

not an expert on them at all, but they seem to be the style youre looking for
Yes, they are the style I am looking for and I have seriously considered this option as they are cheap too. Not hub gears but pretty much meet the rest of the wish list. Gonna go have another look. Grrr Halfords...would much prefer my local cycle shop

OP
OP
V

Vic123

That's my dream bike :girl:
I know the guy that makes them, he let me try one at the Scottish Bike Show last year.
It's about £ 900 though :sad:
It has so much going for it apart from the price. It looks worth it though. If I had the cash, I'd willingly hand it over.

OP
OP
V

Vic123

Beg bikes are pretty lush. But actually, i believe you are trying to tick too many boxes. Fully equipped? Hub gears and brakes? Cheap? Lightweight?
Beg bikes are very pretty indeed with a good spec. I am being a bit of a fantasist I know, I did say so in the title of the thread but this has been really valuable for me. Lots of useful suggestions.

Top Bottom