Amazing answer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you buy a mainstream ebike, batteries can either be replaced or recelled.

It's more a question of cost, neither process is cheap.
Haven't tried it yet but things I have read suggest that Bosch batteries may not be suitable for recelling
I suspect they may have set them up so it is impossible - and if you try you will brick it

but I could be wrong

I saw something quoting them as saying this was for safety reasons as it can be 'dangerous' if not done properly

so I am expecting to have to replace mine with a genuine Bosch when it gets too old

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The cells will be replaceable, regardless of what they say. The battery case housing will just be that with a BMS and cells installed, the cells will be more than likely 18650 cells. There are technicians that would replace them. I'd do it myself but then i do have the necessary gear such as a battery spot welder, needed in most if not all instances.
I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but people judge their purchases differently. Personally, i wouldn't worry about it...

The cells will be replaceable, regardless of what they say. The battery case housing will just be that with a BMS and cells installed, the cells will be more than likely 18650 cells. There are technicians that would replace them. I'd do it myself but then i do have the necessary gear such as a battery spot welder, needed in most if not all instances.
I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but people judge their purchases differently. Personally, i wouldn't worry about it...
You could be right
Hopefully it will last a good few years - but I willprobably wait until it is nearly useless and then get a professional to have a go on the basis of 'if you brick it then is was scrap anyway so don't worry'

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Haven't tried it yet but things I have read suggest that Bosch batteries may not be suitable for recelling
I suspect they may have set them up so it is impossible - and if you try you will brick it

but I could be wrong

I saw something quoting them as saying this was for safety reasons as it can be 'dangerous' if not done properly

so I am expecting to have to replace mine with a genuine Bosch when it gets too old

I think you are right about it not being possible to recell Bosch batteries.

Or more accurately, the recelled battery will no longer work on the bike due to the locked down nature of the Bosch system.

It also uses CANbus wiring, which is notoriously difficult to tinker with.

I think you are right about it not being possible to recell Bosch batteries.

Or more accurately, the recelled battery will no longer work on the bike due to the locked down nature of the Bosch system.

There are some videos on YouTube where experts open up Bosch ebike batteries and check them out
The ones I have seen, the expert said that the connections were spot welded in a manner that made it almost impossible to replicate on a workbench. I'm not sure of the exact reasons - but it looked like the metal used was very thin.

RichardB

Slightly retro

CANbus has reached the world of bicycles? Say it ain't so!

I have tried for years to avoid buying a car with CANbus but had to give in with the current one. Thank goodness that four out of the five bikes I possess are analogue, and the electric one is knife-and-fork simple.

Drago

Legendary Member
And there we must differ :tongue: Synching carbs is an absolute pleasure.
I'd rather eat the peanuts putmof my own sheet! :laugh:

Top Bottom