amazing tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
RedBike said:
There's various straps to carry it like a rucksack, but they're not practical for a bike.

I suppose you could lash it to the side of your panniers somehow (and pray there isn't a strong sidewind. )

When ever I carry it on my back - I feel like I'm a turtle. We have a couple of different sized ones from Decathlon. We wanted to occasionally light camp with the kids - our main tent is enormous so takes ages to set up and down - but good for a week away what ever the weather. The pop-up tents mean a different style of camping - moving around. Not tried them on a bike though.

nigelnorris

I've just been in a lidl that has them, much smaller than the one pictured, I'd say only about 20" diameter. £35 quid, though I didn't look to see if single or double skinned.

[Or was it an Aldi? I can never tell the difference.]

I was in Blacks the other day getting my sleeping bag and a young lad was putting one of these popup tents up behind me. First there was nothing and the next there was a tent. Gave me quite a surprise as I didn't even see the lad start to set it up. Don't think it would fit on my bike though so I will stick with my elderly Saunders Jetpacker:smile:.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We have loads at work.
A display one was in the back, and the band wasnt on properly that keeps it from popping open when you dont want it to.
Its a big stock room with a narrower bit to some stairs and a door to the staff room. Its got lockers on one side.
Me and 2 other people ended up exiting the staff room rapidly and going out the door to the shop to go down stairs, i accidently tapped this tent and up it went:wacko:
Blocked from the door from the shop to the staff room.
We left it there to confused the manager because he couldnt remember how to put them away properly:laugh:
Oh, and they are fine, but look at the size of them!! Where can you put that when your are cycling, or hiking, or when your in your car?
More awkward then a normal tent i think.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
stewie griffin said:
I've been tempted to use it on the bicycle but my other tunnel tent is a similar weight, packs smaller & feels more robust though I don't know whether it is or not.
By the accounts I've heard, pop up tents are reasonably robust in bad weather. The wind may blow them flat, but they just pop up again without suffering any damage. It wouldn't make for a good night's sleep though.

willem

Über Member
As if pitching a small tent ever was an issue. Unless of course you are completely incompetent. So that is the market, I think: incompetent or inexperienced first time campers who think that pitching a tent is an issue.
This is all very horrible crap that will end in the the landfill after a couple of seasons at the most. Why don't people buy decent real tents?
Willem

Bodhbh

Guru
Well it has it's uses for rock festivals and whatnot, can get it up quick, then get stuck into your cider. I wouldn't want to put up a serious tent just for it to get trodden into the mud, guy ropes ripped out, holes burnt in it, etc.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Someone told me the other day that a lot of the cheapo tents at Glastonbury are just left there. It doesn't seem very eco friendly that they're just dumped into a landfill after the festivals but at at those prices people can't be bothered to strike camp and lug them home.

Bodhbh

Guru
rich p said:
Someone told me the other day that a lot of the cheapo tents at Glastonbury are just left there. It doesn't seem very eco friendly that they're just dumped into a landfill after the festivals but at at those prices people can't be bothered to strike camp and lug them home.
No, I suppose in the scheme of things the price of a cheap tent is minimal compared to tickets, transport, been ripped off with festival prices for food/drink, etc. What is it now, 150 quid or so to get in? Especially if you split the cost of it between a few of you and it's half-wrecked for reuse at the end of anyhow.

stewie griffin

Über Member
willem said:
As if pitching a small tent ever was an issue. Unless of course you are completely incompetent. So that is the market, I think: incompetent or inexperienced first time campers who think that pitching a tent is an issue.
This is all very horrible crap that will end in the the landfill after a couple of seasons at the most. Why don't people buy decent real tents?
Willem

Tent snob!
I don't agree, I have 4 tents (sure I'm not the only one on here), I don't struggle to put any of them up, my pop up will definately see more use, I really like it.

Top Bottom