Amazon Returns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Has anyone ever had their Amazon account closed for returning too many items?

There are bits about it online, but not much detail about why things were being returned, or exactly how many returns. The reason for my interest lately is that it seems that an increasing amount of the stuff I buy these days is a pig in poke, and it's got to the stage where I'm keeping duff goods out of fear that I'll get my account closed. Comments online suggest that their 'appeal' process is little more than window dressing.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Next were thinking about doing this if customers returned too many items, the reason being that customers ordered, then wore the items then before the return date was up they sent the items back soiled. The items couldn't be re sold so had to be thrown away. This clearly costs the company a lot of money.

On Amazon there are lots of scammers these days that try to get refunds without returning the item and they not only have the item, but they got it for free. I don't blame companies for taking measures, after all, it's us the paying customers who endup paying the price.

Never heard of it actually happening. I've returned loads of things and the most fuss I've ever had is accepting credit instead of a refund (to be fair it was 18+ months old so I was ok with that).

Recently I ordered a android tablet on the amazon warehouse and what arrived was a completely fake spec so returned, then I ordered a android tablet from a marketplace seller and that was completely fake too so was returned and then I ordered a slightly dearer android tablet from amazon warehouse and it was a genuine spec but it turned out the screen wasn't registering presses bottom right of the screen and the micro SD slot was not lineing up with the slot so that was returned. Anyway it got me a bit worried they would cancel my account because of 3 returns all close together but there weren't any problems and generally I've ordered hundreds of items and rarely return anything normally. It has made me think twice about ordering android tablets from Amazon though especially as I reviewed one of the fake android tablets pointing out the item was fake but also mentioning it's good points so trying to be fair and as soon as it was posted the seller must have complained and it was removed so Amazon are complicit in selling fake android tablets as are preventing consumers being warned about fake android tablets.

I noticed that the listing for the marketplace tablet had been taken down but is now back up although the price is now £54.99 where as I paid £42.13. I should add because the seller wouldn't provide a prepaid return label and kept coming up with stalling tactics like requesting photos of the problem that Amazon themselves refunded me and in the end I never had to return the tablet. Unless the change in price has resulted in going from a fake spec to true spec then it is best avoided but the marketplace item is below. The other two tablets were warehouse items so can't link to those. It would be useful to know if Amazon are removing all reviews of this tablet preventing people making an informed choice. There could have been 100s of reviews all criticising the tablet for all I know. I can't assume mine was the only review removed.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C9Y5XDPV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:
OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
Next were thinking about doing this if customers returned too many items, the reason being that customers ordered, then wore the items then before the return date was up they sent the items back soiled. The items couldn't be re sold so had to be thrown away. This clearly costs the company a lot of money.

On Amazon there are lots of scammers these days that try to get refunds without returning the item and they not only have the item, but they got it for free. I don't blame companies for taking measures, after all, it's us the paying customers who endup paying the price.

Apparently fashion clothes returns are very high (~70%), but I don't (can't) generally buy clothes online.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001vlj4 (From 10m19s)

I've returned loads of things

How much is loads? Five of the last seven items I bought are duff, but I've only returned one.

Last edited:
Apparently fashion clothes returns are very high (~70%), but I don't (can't) generally buy clothes online.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001vlj4 (From 10m19s)

How much is loads? Five of the last seven items I bought are duff, but I've only returned one.

I couldnt really say without checking all my history, at least half a dozen different things a year I'd guess. I have bought a lot more than that mind as (when I still had Prime) I'd order a lot of things for relatives.

Clothes is probably the one thing I actively try to avoid buying online, unless it's something I already have and know the sizes. Bought a fair few shoes though with no issues.

welsh dragon

I don't have any choice but to but my clothes online as I live in the sticks and the nearest decent clothes shop is about 60 miles away. I admit I rarely but clothes these days I have enough to last me for the rest of my life probably.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have had excellent service from them in the past, I've probbaly returned 3 things in the past year. Some of which (under £7 or so) I was given a refund and told I don't even need to return the item.

But:
Amazon are complicit in selling fake android tablets as are preventing consumers being warned about fake android tablets
Yes they are. I once bought a 5W phone charger which back in the day was the fastest you could get. I requested a refund and also uploaded a picture of the plug that clearly stated the output was 1.5W. I also left a negative review and pointed out that this was being sold as a "fast" charger but was nothing of the sort. Amazon didn't care because weeks later it was still on sale and the ad (and wording) hadn't changed.

My educated guess is that it's easier for them to continue selling dodgy goods, and just compensate those who complain/notice. Knowing that some people will not notice or won't bother getting a refund. I wonder if anyone has actually reported them to trading standards etc, or whether it's even followed up?

welsh dragon

I have had excellent service from them in the past, I've probbaly returned 3 things in the past year. Some of which (under £7 or so) I was given a refund and told I don't even need to return the item.

But:

Yes they are. I once bought a 5W phone charger which back in the day was the fastest you could get. I requested a refund and also uploaded a picture of the plug that clearly stated the output was 1.5W. I also left a negative review and pointed out that this was being sold as a "fast" charger but was nothing of the sort. Amazon didn't care because weeks later it was still on sale and the ad (and wording) hadn't changed.

My educated guess is that it's easier for them to continue selling dodgy goods, and just compensate those who complain/notice. Knowing that some people will not notice or won't bother getting a refund. I wonder if anyone has actually reported them to trading standards etc, or whether it's even followed up?

The problem is that Amazon now have a lot of affiliate sellers IE sellers who have business on Amazon but are not part of Amazon and yes the numbers of iffy ahd downright scammers are growing. The items are not sold by Amazon but because they come under the umbrella of Amazon people naturally blame them and in all fairness if you are going to allow that to happen then they really need to take responsibility for those scammer sellers. Lots of items sold are dire.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I couldnt really say without checking all my history, at least half a dozen different things a year I'd guess. I have bought a lot more than that mind as (when I still had Prime) I'd order a lot of things for relatives.
I've not bought anything at all since last December, I tend to buy post free in batches when they give me a months free trial on Prime. I wonder whether their threshold for closing an account is based on number of returns, total value, or percentages of what you buy.
I have enough to last me for the rest of my life probably.
I'd love to do that, but clothes don't last 5 minutes these days.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A few years ago I ordered something from Amazon tho' I forget what it was.
Parcel arrived with my order ok but also contained a kindle and a small kitchen gadget which was clearly addressed to somebody in Devon.
I tried to return the unordered items but was left with the impression it was more bother than it was worth to them and it was clearly suggested that I just dump them if not wanted. Eventually a carrier appeared and took them off after I persisted and got a return label sent to me.
I no longer deal with them now anyway as they keep trying to get money off me for A. Prime which I do not want.

Was is easy to see it was fake?

I would say fairly easy once you use a system info utility. However one of the tablets claimed to be android 9.0 yet was actually android 5 so had to find a website doing older apks which would work on it as lots of modern apks aren't android 5 compatible.

Top Bottom