Amazon sellers - confidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 22722

This summer I booked my holiday with lowcost holidays which went bust. Moneysaving expert posted a guide which stated that paypal customers don't have as much protection as those that paid on credit card. This proved to be 100% wrong as the paypal customers were amongst the first to be refunded. I d paid by credit card and did get my refund eventually. A couple of points

1.Don't take moneysaving expert as gospel
2.For small purchases Id say paypal is better than credit card (you can't make a section 75 credit card claim for under £100)
3.Be wary of the amazon sites\products with no feedback IME.

I'm happy that you received your refund eventually and I'm reading into it that it was PayPal that made that refund and not your CC issuer. If PayPal had refused the claim for whatever reason and assuming the holiday (or deposit) was in excess of £100 then it would have likely been a different story and you may have had trouble claiming via your CC issuer due to section 75.

PayPal does offer its own buyer protection, but this is not enshrined in law, nor is it as all embracing as Section 75. Decisions are taken solely at PayPal's discretion and there is a 180 day time limit on filing any claim. Take it from me as someone who has previously been stung as both a buyer and seller by ebay/PayPal once a decision has been made there is no communication channel to appeal this decision. Buying directly with a CC you can at least go to the Financial Ombudsman Service should the CC issuer refuse your claim.

So as I said, small cost purchases are fine with PayPal assuming that you are willing to take a risk at losing in the event of a dispute but for larger cost purchases I'd always go with paying direct with a CC for the added protection.

There's nothing wrong with any advice provided by moneysavingexpert and i've always found them to provide accurate and useful information. I only provided that link as it was the first one I googled. I could have posted any number of other references to the same Section 75 information.

In my experience sellers on the Amazon marketplace are about as good (and are usually the same) as those found on ebay. I use Amazon a lot but use common sense when purchasing anything from a market place seller.

I'm happy that you received your refund eventually and I'm reading into it that it was PayPal that made that refund and not your CC issuer. If PayPal had refused the claim for whatever reason and assuming the holiday (or deposit) was in excess of £100 then it would have likely been a different story and you may have had trouble claiming via your CC issuer due to section 75.

PayPal does offer its own buyer protection, but this is not enshrined in law, nor is it as all embracing as Section 75. Decisions are taken solely at PayPal's discretion and there is a 180 day time limit on filing any claim. Take it from me as someone who has previously been stung as both a buyer and seller by ebay/PayPal once a decision has been made there is no communication channel to appeal this decision. Buying directly with a CC you can at least go to the Financial Ombudsman Service should the CC issuer refuse your claim.

So as I said, small cost purchases are fine with PayPal assuming that you are willing to take a risk at losing in the event of a dispute but for larger cost purchases I'd always go with paying direct with a CC for the added protection.

There's nothing wrong with any advice provided by moneysavingexpert and i've always found them to provide accurate and useful information. I only provided that link as it was the first one I googled. I could have posted any number of other references to the same Section 75 information.

In my experience sellers on the Amazon marketplace are about as good (and are usually the same) as those found on ebay. I use Amazon a lot but use common sense when purchasing anything from a market place seller.

No I did pay by credit card - and got reimbursed under section 75 in about six weeks. Paypal were issuing refunds within a week.

The info provided by MSE was all over the place on this one - the article was re written and edited about 3 times in the first 24 hours. They got into a particular tangle over whether lowcost holidays was in fact an agent - and therefore section 75 might not stand. They also advised that if you booked flights, transfers, and accommodation through low cost - you had more protection than just booking flights and hotels as you could claim to have a package deal (you couldn't and this proved to be a total non issue)

Top Bottom