ambrosio hubs/cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
andy_wrx said:
if it is a 10sp Shimano-fit hub, you could perhaps get a Shimano 10sp cassette, pull that apart and take 9 cogs from it, separate them using the Miche spacers and so make-up a new cassette

Thinking about it, I'm probably wrong here.

A Shimano 10sp cassette (at least a 105 10sp cassette) has the biggest cogs all as one unit on a spider, then the smaller ones are loose with plastic spacers between
- but the ones in the spider don't have spacers, the cogs themselves are machined/cast to incorporate the spacer.

MartinC

Über Member
Andy, yes Miche cassettes have separate cogs and spacers so you can make them up for S or C. Decent S cassettes (105 upwards) come with the big sprockets and carrier combined.

Sounds like the only cogs that will fit are DA ones so you have to wonder what the originals were. Sounds like Bianchi had some DA wheels and 9 speed shifters they wanted to use up and sourced some custom sprockets - maybe machined some Miche ones.

Bodging a cassette together from 9 DA/Ultegra cogs and as many loose spacers as you can use doesn't sound like a good idea. The spacing will be iffy - 3-5 cogs you can't change 'cos the spacer's built in, are the S cogs the same thickness as the ones they replace? Will the whole thing be wide enough/too wide for the lock ring to work properly?

Getting a 9 speed Miche cassette (S splines, C spacing) and grinding out the slots would be a better option. You may have to mail order from the US to get one quickly.

I'd change the hubs. £100 for a pair of Khamsins sounds like the quickest and easiest solution - or use it as an excuse to upgrade to what you want.

OP
OP
Y

yello

yello said:
The XT cassette looks like it would fit if the splines on the freehub were deeper. The spacings and widths of splines look to be otherwise matching up.

No it doesn't! The splines are not matching up and look about the right depth - so I got it completely wrong!!

Comparing an XT cog with a 'Miche' one, I'd say the XT has a slightly bigger inside diameter. The Ambrosia freehub measured 35mm across. I'd like to be able to offer up a Shimano 10sp and Campag 8sp cassettes, just out of interest, or at least find out the diameter of a Campagnolo 8sp hub.

I've ordered a pair of Khamsins now, €118 delivered (around £105) so I'm happy with that. Gets me back with standard kit! I had a read of some reviews of the Khamsins and I reckoned they'd suit my purposes, and obviously them being cheaper than Aksiums makes them appeal more!

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

MartinC

Über Member
Yello, I've still got some Campag 8 speed cassettes in the shed. Sometime today I'll try and dig one out and measure it. Sad I know! I'm still puzzled as to what the original set up was.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Cheers Martin. For what it's worth, I reckon it's an 8sp Campagnolo compatible freehub and Bianchi have made up a cassette using Miche cogs and 9sp spacers.

Did I mention it was a 10sp chain!! A Campagnolo C10.

MartinC

Über Member
I haven't been to the shed yet - but..........I have a theory!

Your hubs have an 8 speed Campag splined freewheel. Bianchi were using up old stock. Only 8 speed Campag splined cassetes will fit this - neither Campag 9 speed nor any Shimano. Bianchi made a 9 speed cassette for this by using loose 8 speed Miche sprockets and 9 speed spacers.

Incidentally Ribble still sell 8 speed Miche cassettes so you could make one of these if you bought 2 or re-used an old sprocket. However not having obsolete wheels is a definite advantage going forward so in my book you've done the best thing. If the theory is right it might be worth putting the old wheels on ebay for anyone still running old Campag stuff.

I'll post when I've got some measurements for you.

OP
OP
Y

yello

MartinC said:
I have a theory!

Your hubs have an 8 speed Campag splined freewheel. Bianchi were using up old stock. Only 8 speed Campag splined cassetes will fit this - neither Campag 9 speed nor any Shimano. Bianchi made a 9 speed cassette for this by using loose 8 speed Miche sprockets and 9 speed spacers.

I reckon you're right. I'll take into my LBS and see if they can confirm.

MartinC

Über Member
Yello, on a Campag 7 or 8 speed freehub (they're the same - I ran 8 speed cassettes with a sprocket short on 7 speed hubs for years) the diameter of the spline top circle is 35.0mm and the bottom circle is 32.5. Just measured some old 7 speed sprockets.

a_n_t

Is it only the DA hubs that are 10 speed only? I'm looking to get one of these cassettes for some planet x pro carbons, would their superlight hubs be 8/9/10 speed?

andy_wrx said:
- Surosa are selling the Ambrosio Shimano-splined-but-Campag-spaced 10sp cassette with the warning
NOTE: Only compatible with Shimano 8/9/10 speed freehubs, not compatible with Shimano 10s specific freehubs.
http://www.surosa.co.uk/3896/products/Ambrosio_10_Speed_Cassette_Shimano_Freehub_Campag_Spaced.aspx
Now that sounds like a warning to me that this cassette - enabling you to run a Shimano-splined wheel on an otherwise 10sp Campag bike - will only fit on a 8/9/10sp Shimano-splined hub, i.e. not one of these 10sp-only DA hubs.

Not just DA, Shimano also had some 10sp-only Ultegra freehubs (WH-R600) a couple of years ago, although the current ones are 8/9/10 as they have steel or titanium freehubs rather than alu.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#10

Re PX, dunno - seem to recall a thread on BR a few months ago when they had the supersale of the Model B's for £100, they were 10sp only. Someone rang PX and they hunted around in the back of the whse and found him an old pair with 8/9/10 hubs.

You could ring PX and ask about yours.

Or alternatively (stating the obvious), if you can fit a 8sp or 9sp cassette onto your hub, it's 8/9/10...

If you only have a 10sp cassette, the difference is the height of the splines - if you can fit the cassette part-on and can see that the splines on the freehub are shorter than the grooves in the cassette, then it's 8/9/10 whereas if they fill them it's 10sp-only.

a_n_t

they are about a year old but having seen the freehub its got the lower splines so definately 8/9/10. Having said that the shimano cassette is working remarkably well with my campag equipment!

Top Bottom