Ambulance Close Pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loother

Über Member
I've grave doubts as to the efficacy of the driver training Ambo get. It's not even equivalent to dibble standard ticket, and dibble standard isn't all that.
Woah! That's below the belt Mr. When I trained it was to same, standard Roadcraft.
I didn't realise that Plod were still training above taxi level.:boxing:

U

User6179

Woah! That's below the belt Mr. When I trained it was to same, standard Roadcraft.
I didn't realise that Plod were still training above taxi level.:boxing:

They train Taxi drivers ?^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Roadcraft is just a system. Ambo get trained in response. Dibble standard is response and pursuit. Dibble advanced is all sorts of other jolly stuff like TPAC etc. The training for standard has been reduced nationally from 4 to 2 weeks over the last 10 years, and it shows. Ambo training is pretty pith poor these days too, and that covered a narrower syllabus to start with.

U

User6179

And one of them failed to see a flashing vehicle even though they claimed to do an over shoulder check.

Yes we all know that but I doubt it would stand up in court as a defence if the ambulance hit the cyclist, the responsibility would still be on the driver.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
How does someone miss a flashing ambulance behind them on a straight road? And also miss clues from traffic pulling off the road ahead.

The ambulance was travelling at a fair rate, it's possible he couldn't see it. As for cars pulling off, there was only one, and he could have done that for a number of reasons, including wanting to change direction.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
How does someone miss a flashing ambulance behind them on a straight road? And also miss clues from traffic pulling off the road ahead.

Blind spots. Every human eye has one, though it's also quite possible to miss anything at anytime due to sensory overload, amongst other things and to be fair, you have to ask the same question to the ambulance driver....How does someone miss a man on a bike, right in front of them and on a straight road?

loother

Über Member
Roadcraft is just a system. Ambo get trained in response. Dibble standard is response and pursuit. Dibble advanced is all sorts of other jolly stuff like TPAC etc. The training for standard has been reduced nationally from 4 to 2 weeks over the last 10 years, and it shows. Ambo training is pretty pith poor these days too, and that covered a narrower syllabus to start with.
True, we are trained to get there safely and timely, although we do sometimes "make progress" when necessary. Safety of everyone is our priority. When you say "pith poor", can you elucidate further?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They didn't take action to get out of the way though. It's an emergency vehicle for crying out loud.

Have you even read the thread? The OP didn't see the ambulance coming up, so had no reason to get out of the way.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The ambulance was travelling at a fair rate, it's possible he couldn't see it. As for cars pulling off, there was only one, and he could have done that for a number of reasons, including wanting to change direction.
Blind spots. Every human eye has one, though it's also quite possible to miss anything at anytime due to sensory overload, amongst other things and to be fair, you have to ask the same question to the ambulance driver....How does someone miss a man on a bike, right in front of them and on a straight road?
It's big. It's yellow and green. It has retina piercing flashing blue lights on it. When they were in the design phase I imagine someone said "Everyone has blind spots, shouldn't we cater for them?" and they did their very best to do so. As I said it didn't suddenly materialise out of nowhere right behind him.

If you do repeated shoulder checks and, I'm assuming but this a whole different argument, not wearing headphones and miss an ambulance behind you for more than ooo let's say 25 yards, no let's go for 50 on the basis that if it's pulled out of a side road within the last 50 yards you would have seen it approaching the junction, then I really, really, really think you need to think about whether or not you should be on a bike on a road.

And the ambulance driver did miss the cyclist.

GrasB

Veteran
And the ambulance driver did miss the cyclist.
Okay yeah, there's an argument that the cyclist should have realised there was an ambulance following, personally I think over-short & very frequent shoulder checking didn't allow the OP to make a proper visual assessment of the road. However, the ambulance driver needlessly endangered another road user. That makes the pass unacceptable, end of story. Collision or no collision.

Top Bottom