Ammonia?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
As predicted (on here) the seat post & stem on my Sun are both stuck solid. Apparently, or so I've read, ammonia can dissolve the bond between the steel & the alloy.
So if I turn the bike upside down I can fill the head tube & (after removing the bottom bracket) the seat tube & soak?.... Anyone had any success with this method? I really don't want to resort to sawing them through, especially the rather nice GB hiduminium spearpoint quill stem!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For the stem it will just pour out, so you would need a pretty big container full to get it immersed.
I may be being dense but if you seal around the top of the expander bolt, where's it going to leak out from?

I've never resorted to ammonia. Penetrating oils or cola have always worked so far... but I've not done it much.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
The seat post has a plastic top to it so that's sort of sealed off. The expander bolt is loose but if I just gaffer tape it all on the outside would that not stop it leaking out? I might chuck some cheap 'roller' cola in the head to soak a while... Unfortunatly i dont have a heat gun... I'll ask around

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
It leaks a little but I'll keep pouring it back in... Good job the wife isn't back in till 10pm!!
IMG_20160302_164223.jpg

ian c

Oh, and I would NEVER get away with doing that in the kitchen, other half would crucify me! ^_^

Top Bottom