Amstel Gold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

My first proper sportive tomorrow. I thought the full-length version was probably a bit too much, so have opted for the 200km route. Unfortunately, my training has been a bit haphazard, so I'm not feeling especially well prepared - I think it's going to be a case of getting round the course, rather than aiming for a swift time.

Will probably stick around and watch the pros do it properly on Sunday.

e-rider

crappy member
free beer?

e-rider

crappy member
Amstel is indeed a beer (of sorts!). Owned and brewed by Heineken these days.

I like Heineken beer, even though it's the evil giant brewing company that everyone hates. It is expensive in the Netherlands though - last year on a cycling holiday I paid about 5 euros for 500 mL which is mega expensive really, especailly after 5 of them!

OP
OP
U

User169

200km is a long ride - I've never managed more than about 185 km in one day before.

Tell me about it! I did one 200km ride some years ago, but not recently. The course is a bit lumpy as well; not exactly the alps, but 15 hills of the short sharp shock variety. I'll be pretty pleased just to get round.

Rob500

Good luck Delftse Post.

mangaman

Good luck DP.

Hope it all goes well.

It comes as no surprise your first sportive is named after a beer - it wouldn't be quite right otherwise (although there are better beers it could be named after)

Let us know how you do :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

User169

Made it to the end - the last couple of hours were cold and rainy for an authentic spring classic feel; refuelled on (very much not free) beer and chips and then cycled back to Maastricht. A good day out all in all, one visit from the fairy notwithstanding. Aside from the finish in Valkenburg which was fairly chaotic, the organisation was pretty good. The marshalling was excellent and there were feed/service stations every 50kms or so. My wife even received text updates of my progress since I'd given her as an emergency contact.

OP
OP
U

User169

It comes as no surprise your first sportive is named after a beer - it wouldn't be quite right otherwise (although there are better beers it could be named after)

Funny you should say that, Rick - I just noticed that there's a "La Chouffe Classic" in the Ardennes in June. I'm definitely going to have to do that one!

Top Bottom