An 80's Raleigh designed by G.O.D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well not actually god but Gerald O Donovan one of the main men behind Raleigh's SBDU division and later lightweight build section .

Picked this up last night as not seen one of these before its a type 8806 Training frame from 1986/7 area , Reynolds 531 main tubes , mixture of golden arrow . 105 and 600 gears , 600 tricolour hubs laced to Ma40 rims , nice Miche aero seat post and the longest Cinelli stem i have even seen at 140 mm .

As some will know i am normally against refininshing frames but this one has been touched up badly around the base of the down tube and bottom bracket area amongst other smaller areas , so will have to decide what to do .

I bought it for the mix of components rather than the total bike but a quick spin along the cycle path and it feels like its got some pedigree

WP_20150609_001.jpg
WP_20150609_002.jpg
WP_20150609_004.jpg
WP_20150609_005.jpg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Blimey, don't get many stems bigger than that :smile:

Shaun

U

User19783

IMAG0071.jpg

I love my old roadace, it's a great ride, but sorry it's no way as good condition as yours, very jealous.
Another great find, well done, enjoy.
And thanks for posting.:okay:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
have spent a couple of hours on this over last couple of days and we are almost at the ready for some test miles stage , paintwork has cleaned up quite well apart from where its been attacked before , looking forward to testing as it feels quite sprightly .

so fingers crossed

raleighnut

Legendary Member
just got round to checking frame number in this one and it is WE80000492 , was rather hoping for a 5 digit one but never mind
At least it starts with a W. :becool:

Who wouldn't want a frame made by God? A lovely find and worthy of a full-on paint resto I'd say.
I bet it'll be a heavenly ride - if you can cope with that hellishly long stem (see what I did there? God/heavenly/hellish, someone get me a job as a daytime tv scriptwriter)!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Who wouldn't want a frame made by God? A lovely find and worthy of a full-on paint resto I'd say.
I bet it'll be a heavenly ride - if you can cope with that hellishly long stem (see what I did there? God/heavenly/hellish, someone get me a job as a daytime tv scriptwriter)!

that long stem is sat on a n other bike at moment as its a bit shorter along the top tube , cant decide what to do with the G.O.D machine so its sat partially stripped awaiting a decision current thought is is a refinish and refit with some sti's and modern groupset as a winter commuter

It's such a racy frame, an up-to-date set-up with brake shifters (and modern brakes that actually stop you) would really suit its sportiness, but I didn't think you liked that modern stuff!

Well someone's going to be very happy indeed! It should feel lively AND comfortable at the same time. I'm pleased I uprated brakes on mine, when you're carrying the extra weight I am you need all the stopping power you can get!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well this has been waiting its turn for a few months now and this week has seen its new life as a winterised single speed bike start to take effect and now just needs a saddle fitting along with some pedals fitted and testing can begin ^_^

Top Bottom