An adventurous day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yogiblair

After receiving my flat bar road bike back from the LBS where I had it in for a drop bar conversion, I decided that today was the i was going to pop my 50mile cherry. Fitness levels are improving and bettering my previous 35mile ride was the plan.

I should have known things weren’t going to be easy when I had my first off at the first junction because I forgot my feet are clipped in to the pedals. Most embarrassing and a little bit sore.

I dusted myself down and got on with my journey, the weather was good although a little more wind than forecast. The first 20miles or so we’re good and I even experienced my first gel pouch. (Yuk!) feeling like a real cyclist on my newly converted bike, I was putting the foot down and loving it.

Part of the route was over an exposed bit of hillside and it this point the wind started really gusting, much earlier and stronger than the forecast suggested, I was in bottom gear and barely making headway, that was 3miles of torture. Even going downhill on the other side, I was hardly moving in to the wind, gusting over 30mph I think!!

Finally on the last climb before about 10miles flat to home and my chain jumped off the last gear, there was one almighty crunch and the derailleur was mostly bent!

My garmin was reading 37.9miles at the time, the end was in sight, but my 50miles was not to be!

My wife came and picked me up and I took the bike straight to the LBS for some TLC. Hopefully the new gears will be better indexed!

Just wanted to share my story, any body else have a cycling disaster today?

Attachments

• 370726A1-91C6-4892-9343-0AF44FA21A22.jpeg
    370726A1-91C6-4892-9343-0AF44FA21A22.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 4FC34B10-E5C2-4E3A-9BB9-D048886A5B24.jpeg
    4FC34B10-E5C2-4E3A-9BB9-D048886A5B24.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 6B3EADEA-650D-4B60-9DBF-DAB3814BD668.jpeg
    6B3EADEA-650D-4B60-9DBF-DAB3814BD668.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 78

Elysian_Roads

After receiving my flat bar road bike back from the LBS where I had it in for a drop bar conversion, I decided that today was the i was going to pop my 50mile cherry. Fitness levels are improving and bettering my previous 35mile ride was the plan.

I should have known things weren’t going to be easy when I had my first off at the first junction because I forgot my feet are clipped in to the pedals. Most embarrassing and a little bit sore.

I dusted myself down and got on with my journey, the weather was good although a little more wind than forecast. The first 20miles or so we’re good and I even experienced my first gel pouch. (Yuk!) feeling like a real cyclist on my newly converted bike, I was putting the foot down and loving it.

Part of the route was over an exposed bit of hillside and it this point the wind started really gusting, much earlier and stronger than the forecast suggested, I was in bottom gear and barely making headway, that was 3miles of torture. Even going downhill on the other side, I was hardly moving in to the wind, gusting over 30mph I think!!

Finally on the last climb before about 10miles flat to home and my chain jumped off the last gear, there was one almighty crunch and the derailleur was mostly bent!

My garmin was reading 37.9miles at the time, the end was in sight, but my 50miles was not to be!

My wife came and picked me up and I took the bike straight to the LBS for some TLC. Hopefully the new gears will be better indexed!

Hi @yogiblair. One minor off while mountain biking today, which was much like the "clipped in, stopped, fall sideways" event I am guessing you had. Luckily, apart from some grim weather the rest of the ride passed without incident and I got to my second 50 miler. Good luck with getting to yours, am sure it will be pretty soon.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

Shame about the end to your ride, but well done on the mileage :highfive:

You might want to have a look at the 50km challenge after getting this ride in ;) https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-2018-half-century-50km-or-50-mile-a-month-challenge.228549/

the stupid one

Über Member
I had a sillier off on Friday, if it'll make you feel better.

Approaching a Cyclists Dismount sign, but knowing I'd probably get away with it, I only decided to dismount at the last moment. With my leg halfway over the frame the dreadful squealing of my damp rim brakes became so embarrassing that I released the levers, then rapidly grabbed them again when it became apparent I'd hit the barrier otherwise. Result: I carried on moving slightly faster than the bike did and ended up half on the floor and half clinging to a wall while laughing at my own stupidity.

And I didn't look around to see if anybody spotted me, because who wants to know that?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There should be adjusting on your pedals. I have mine as slack as I can have them. When you forget your clipped in and start toppling over, your first reaction is to pull your feet up. My feet always release ( Not that I do it often now) ^_^ and I can get my feet down. I also add a drop of oil on the pedal clip springs to kkep them lubricated.

Your bike looks good with drops.'

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Might have just got caught up when the chain came off and jammed. May not be as bad as first thought. Hopefully yogiblair will get back and let us know the outcome.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Lovely bike, and quite a tough adventure! Hope the damage isn't too bad.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I had a sillier off on Friday, if it'll make you feel better.

Approaching a Cyclists Dismount sign, but knowing I'd probably get away with it, I only decided to dismount at the last moment. With my leg halfway over the frame the dreadful squealing of my damp rim brakes became so embarrassing that I released the levers, then rapidly grabbed them again when it became apparent I'd hit the barrier otherwise. Result: I carried on moving slightly faster than the bike did and ended up half on the floor and half clinging to a wall while laughing at my own stupidity.

And I didn't look around to see if anybody spotted me, because who wants to know that?
Off thread maybe, but if it was one of the white on blue signs there's no need to think I'd probably get away with it as these signs are purely advisory. I ignore them. Of course, if you are going to hit a barrier it might be a good idea to dismount anyway.

OP
OP
yogiblair

yogiblair

It's feasible that you bent the gear hanger when you fell over.

Oh and BTW welcome to the 'Clipless Moment' club. :laugh:
I did consider that, but I don’t think so, as had a good few miles pedalling after the fall. Just unlucky I think that after conversion there was a fraction too much movement on the derailleur.

Elysian_Roads

It's feasible that you bent the gear hanger when you fell over.

Oh and BTW welcome to the 'Clipless Moment' club. :laugh:
I have discovered it is possible to ride with a bent gear hanger after a clipless moment for some considerable period of time. That incident may also explain a broken rear spoke I noticed not long after so may be worth checking the wheel. One of life's little lessons.

Top Bottom