An alternative to a backpack or panniers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
What didn't you like about panniers out of interest?

I don't really notice mine unless they're heavily loaded (over 4kg) although they do get in the way if I ever need to negotiate barriers.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
has anybody mentioned one of these yet?

81TVlx8M50L._SX355_.jpg

streamers optional, but recommended

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Funnily enough, I was expecting this to be a basket (front or rear) or pizza rack thread, not a saddlebag one and definitely not one of those bondage-look bikepacking ones.

mjr

I have a Carradice SQR Slim [...] I have no idea why regular cycle commuters use panniers instead of this little marvel.
Because it looks like a bucket with a lid, whereas a pannier can at least look like a regular soft briefcase? You can get some with hooks covered by a flap, but mine doesn't:

Attachments

• Image6965968462697096906.jpg
    Image6965968462697096906.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Image54160669195447731.jpg
    Image54160669195447731.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 9

Smudge

Veteran
I prefer using a rack bag rather than panniers. It keeps the bike slimline, and it can hold heavy items as all the weight is on the top of the rack.

mjr

I prefer using a rack bag rather than panniers. It keeps the bike slimline, and it can hold heavy items as all the weight is on the top of the rack.
What's the benefit over a rear basket? Most rack bags (including mine) seem to wander about annoyingly, although a few people seem to have found particular combinations of rack and bag that don't.

I think panniers can hold more because all the weight is still supported by the top of the rack (they hang from the top rails so all the weight is still on top of the rack, with any lower hook being only an anti-sway thing) but the centre of gravity is lower and it can't slide off the top as easily, but this might only apply to throw-over double panniers and you may be correct that a rack bag can carry more than a pair of single panniers. Ortleib QL2.1 fixings appear to have a published max weight of 9kg. I wonder what other fixings claim.

Slightly OT but, Ive been slowly equipping the fam's fleet of bikes with clickfix handlebar mounts, it means we've all got a choice of handlebar bags (S/M/L) to choose from as well as one wicker and one steel mesh basket with handles. You can even buy a separate clip which you can bolt to any suitable basket or box or vintage beer cooler. A lot of companies use the clickfix standard including Altura and ortleib. So its proper.

Smudge

Veteran
What's the benefit over a rear basket? Most rack bags (including mine) seem to wander about annoyingly, although a few people seem to have found particular combinations of rack and bag that don't.

I think panniers can hold more because all the weight is still supported by the top of the rack (they hang from the top rails so all the weight is still on top of the rack, with any lower hook being only an anti-sway thing) but the centre of gravity is lower and it can't slide off the top as easily, but this might only apply to throw-over double panniers and you may be correct that a rack bag can carry more than a pair of single panniers. Ortleib QL2.1 fixings appear to have a published max weight of 9kg. I wonder what other fixings claim.

I guess a rear basket would do the same, but i think they look shyte. I have these rack bags on 3 of my bikes and they all fix securely, with no movement, with velcro straps underneath, although they do have to work with whatever rack you have. I then dont have the width of panniers where they can sometimes catch on things.
I would have more carrying capacity with two panniers, but i dont really need it. Also you need expensive strong panniers to take heavy items. The cheaper ones can break at the seams or where the weight is directed to where they are fastened.

dodgy

Because it looks like a bucket with a lid, whereas a pannier can at least look like a regular soft briefcase? You can get some with hooks covered by a flap, but mine doesn't:

I've got and have used both, the Carradice SQR is the perfect commuting solution, I haven't put panniers on since discovering what a revelation it is. 🤷‍♂️

mjr

I've got and have used both, the Carradice SQR is the perfect commuting solution, I haven't put panniers on since discovering what a revelation it is. 🤷‍♂️
And yet, somehow, you are unable to put that revelation into words and give any reasons for you thinking a bucket is perfect?

mjr

I guess a rear basket would do the same, but i think they look shyte. I have these rack bags on 3 of my bikes and they all fix securely, with no movement, with velcro straps underneath, although they do have to work with whatever rack you have. [...]
I don't understand how velcro straps can ever fix a loaded bag securely unless you get lucky and the strap fixing points are pretty much exactly the same distance apart as your rack rails.

I think a bag flopping off at 20-30 degrees and wobbling around while you ride looks much worse than a good basket. Everyone has their own tastes, I guess. :smile:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have a Carradice SQR Slim and it is one of the most amazing bicycle accessories I've ever bought. Completely changed my way of thinking with respect to cycle commuting. Bought 5 years ago and it still looks brand new. I have no idea why regular cycle commuters use panniers instead of this little marvel.
View attachment 505991

What's the advantage over panniers?

Smudge

Veteran
I don't understand how velcro straps can ever fix a loaded bag securely unless you get lucky and the strap fixing points are pretty much exactly the same distance apart as your rack rails.

I think a bag flopping off at 20-30 degrees and wobbling around while you ride looks much worse than a good basket. Everyone has their own tastes, I guess. :smile:

If you've had that problem, you've obviously bought the wrong bag for the rack. Or maybe you're just hopeless at fixing them properly.

dodgy

What's the advantage over panniers?

Primarily that the Carradice is behind you, so the bike is narrower and more nimble (my commute has lots of those stupid SUSTRANS pinch point ironworks). It's also more aerodynamic (you may laugh, but I think there's a substantial improvement by not having panniers on the side of the bike). You also don't need a rear rack to support it, the quick release returns the bike looking 'normal' for weekend stuff.

I appreciate some people don't care about all that, but I do :becool:

Top Bottom