An Epiphany, and Some Recumbent Ponderings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
An Epiphany, and Some Recumbent Ponderings.
I’ve recently been browsing several years’ worth of a German Velomobile forum (with the help, and sometimes hindrance, of Google Translate). It’s always interesting to read other people’s views, especially from a different national or cultural perspective. Plenty of stuff about continental makes of bike over the years, many now defunct, others I’d never heard of, new riders wanting advice, how can I go faster, what will suit me, equipment, German traffic laws etc, as you might expect.

There seem to be more recumbent dealers than in the UK, even if widely spread out though since Brexit they are not really accessible to us in Britain as they either don’t post to UK or the costs are off puttingly high.

From a European viewpoint, low, reclined, short wheelbase 2 wheelers are the thing, with tourers allowed to be a bit higher and less reclined, but long wheelbase bikes like the Radius Peer Gynt or Dino seen as something from the past.

Seems I’m sadly deluded. Here I was, thinking, “Hey, I’m a recumbentist! How great is that!”

If you follow the views expressed by some on that forum, with my experience leading me to favour less reclined seats and lower bottom brackets for the sake of easier climbing, it seems I’m an outlier, maybe Not Even a Proper Recumbentist (shock, horror).

Someone even queried whether American LWB bikes were even “real” recumbents or just “chair bikes”. You only have to look at Bentrider Online to see that they still have a following in the US where they call them recumbents so that’s good enough for me. Perhaps with my tedious inclination for mild off road as well as being somewhat short acquiring the lengthy Linear was a serendipitous gift from fate for encouraging my interests. Even on Bentrider, though, the emphasis is shifting towards trikes.

As for the HPV Spirit, which also ticks a lot of the boxes for me, as well as being more train friendly, this seems to also come into the category somewhat disparagingly labelled “chair bike”, or “scooter bike”. Curiously, as it is quite versatile. A trip last year involved some bridleway, some canal towpath, and some road riding where I actually passed another diamond frame rider going uphill which is pretty remarkable for me, not being what you would call fast on anything. I haven’t pushed the mileage on a ride beyond 33 miles yet on that one though now Spring is allegedly here it’s just a matter of time. It rides well enough that longer trips are quite feasible.

As for the train thing, since I acquired a Brompton which you can spontaneously take on a train without any pre booking I’ve been rather spoilt, and haven’t used a train as part of any of my rides with anything else since, including my upright tourer. Hopefully, another first for the Spirit later this year.

Something just clicked for me with the Spirit a couple of weeks ago on a shopping trip. Confronted with a traffic jam at the end of a cycle path I found myself standing alongside holding the handlebars without even thinking about it. On the Linear, or the late Dawes Low Rider, it would have taken a little pre planning to get off. It’s just such a convenient bike with its low stepover. I then wheeled it through gaps in the stationary traffic, got on, and rode off.

Of course the above labels from the German forum might mean something else in that language, as Google translate is notoriously quirky. Also cycling forums are often populated with more sport orientated posters. It’s hard to think of someone who rides any sort of recumbent who isn’t on some cycling forum or other, being in a minority of a minority. If you ride on two wheels, you are probably in a minority of a minority of a minority, as trikes have become more popular than two wheel recumbents in recent years. Of course, popularity is a relative term, as unless you have one yourself, you rarely see a recumbent of any description in the wild.

Regardless of the above, I have no plans to give up 2 wheeled recumbent riding, and if something interesting comes up for sale within travelling distance, I will at least go and have a sit on it. Grasshopper, maybe, or Lightning P-38 if in a small size. I might be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
For various reasons I am mostly a trike rider though I do have a couple of recumbent bikes - one a Nazca Fuego and the other a LWB Recycled Recumbent (yes, one of those chair bikes :laugh:). The RR was my first two wheeled recumbent and still gets out from time to time… it’s like riding in a luxury limo and goes faster than any bike made from a random selection of dead bikes has a right to. I’m happy to do my thing and mostly ignore the Internet experts’ opinion on my choice of transport. To prove my resolute individuality I rarely ride upright bikes these days and use Kickbikes instead, if I’m not recumbent …

classic33

Leg End Member
A conventional bike wasn't what I wanted.

I tried to get hold of a Peer Gynt for years, but was unable to source new, within the UK. Secondhand, asking for close on, or more than, new price were there. But not very often.

Then the Brox was shown on Tomorrows World, another to try and get hold off. I even travelled to London for a test ride, but the shop didn't have one that was rideable.
I ended up buying mine from Rob Brock, over Eccles way. I was able to ride about half a dozen different recumbents there.
Two, three and four wheeled.

andyb1

I am new here so please excuse my ramblings.
Many years back in 1996, for reasons I do still not fully understand I decided to ride a recumbent in India. I visited Neatwork in Scotland and test rode their short and long wheel base bikes, and found the long wheelbase Linear with USS so much more stable than the others. The Linear also folded, and that made it easy to transport to India in a cardboard box. I rode it from Bombay to the Southern tip of India and back to Trivandrum, taking in Ooty and tea stations in the Western Ghats enroute (OK, at Ooty I cheated and took the steam train up but I did have a fantastically fast ride down!). About 3000km. The only minor problem was one puncture, surprisingly in the front wheel.
Back in UK I sold that bike and then imported I think 5 others which I sold in the Midlands, until the original Linear Company shut down. In about 2013 I bought a Linear Limo from the new Linear manufacturer in New York - a superb bike. Very fast and tight, the frame felt much more rigid. Unfortunately a house move meant I had to sell it - it went to Sweden and the new owner fitted an emotor.

Back to today. I still cycle and I took a ride in India this winter on an old Giant MTB along part of my 1996 Linear trip. In UK I ride a superb Oxford Bike Works Rohloff geared steel tourer…..but I hanker for another Linear or similar. I guess I ought to try a short wheelbase recumbent as I am sure they can not all be twitchy but the lower BB and more upright seat of the LWB designs still attracts. I could buy in a Linear frame from America, or even a secondhand bike, but is there anything else like it available?

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Hi @andyb1, during my Linear ownership I was curious as to what other LWB recumbents were or had been available so I rounded up some basic information which can be followed up for more detail. Older bikes are likely to have less common wheel sizes, limiting tyre choice.
Bearing in mind that I might have missed some, starting with the older ones:

This was the design that started the U.S. LWB recumbent revival in 1980. There was an earlier design from 1976, the Avatar, but this later design established the geometry that was adopted by such makers as Linear and Longbikes. If you come across one of these it is likely to be rare and expensive.

Cresswell Rapide. Made in Birmingham. LWB, USS, rear suspension, mesh seat, Steel frame and spressed forks, probably rare as hen’s teeth. Contemporary with the Iowa Linear, some had a Sachs disc.

Radius Peer Gynt Germany LWB, USS, rear suspension, mesh seat, Chromoly steel tubular frame, Magura hydraulic rim brakes. 20”/700C wheels. Current in the ‘90s

Radius Dino, as Peer Gynt but no suspension Current in the ’90s

.Ryan Vanguard. USA. LWB, USS, mesh seat, Steel tubular frame, rear suspension. 20” and 700C.

Rans Tailwind. USA. LWB, OSS? 20” wheels. Suitable for shorties.

More recent

Bachetta Bella or Bellandare (older model)
. USA Tubular frame, steel/Aluminium LWB, mesh seat, discs. may offer with USS but only seen OSS so far. 20/26” wheels. Current or recent models. Apparently suitable for shorties.

Longbikes Slipstream. USA. LWB, USS, mesh seat, discs, steel/aluminium tubular frame. Recent model. A bit more heavily built than the Linear -higher rider weight limit for example.

New York made Linears. Available with discs and more modern chain sets, reputedly lighter and stiffer than the Iowa models. I have been advised that the frame and seat height is taller than the traditional design, leading to a lower, “LR” model being available. In fact, the standard models are being discontinued in favour of this model. All academic at present as no new Linears are currently being produced due to bicycle parts shortages. Linear specific parts such as frames are still available. ( Info Feb2023).

The most likely source of anything like this, particularly Linears, in the UK is Kevin Dunsheath at Little Thetford near Ely, Cambridgeshire. He is on this forum as @MrMagoo from time to time. I don't have contact details to hand at the moment. If someone else doesn't come up with them I'll dig them out.

andyb1

Thanks Mr Twiddler - useful information. I think I bought the chain tube I fitted to my Linear from Kevin?
As you say, Linear frames are available from America but I do not know if they can supply all the special fittings the bike uses. I am in contact with Peter there about it as he has an ex-demo folding Low Rider in my size although I would prefer the higher standard model, non-folding. Alternatively I may be able to locate a late Iowa Linear in UK. I seem to have read that you fitted some reinforcement to your rear fork?

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
The frame reinforcement came from Peter Stull as he had a batch in when I was enquiring about making one, and wondering if he had any specifications or diagrams for them. I could have made one up myself from aluminium plate, but there was something satisfying about future proofing my ancient Linear with parts from the current manufacturer. Fortunately, I found an aluminium welder locally who could do the job. As it happened, as I had a 700C wheel fitted, rather than the original 26", I had to make some modifications anyway.

There’s a chap on the CTC recumbent sub forum who has been selling a Peer Gynt for a while. If you‘re interested it might be worth a look for it. I think it’s just suffering from being unfashionable and not conspicuously “fast”, but back the day it was the Rolls Royce of touring recumbents. I was all set to buy one from Neatwork in the early 90s when I came across a second hand AM in a bike shop and was smitten.

andyb1

Thanks for the replies, I will see if I can find the Peer Gynt

Conrad_K

Last month I got my first bicycle in more than half a century; a 1995 ReBike LWB.

Yep, it would definitely fall into the "chair bike" category. I don't care; it's comfy to ride.

The old saying about "you never forget how to ride a bike" doesn't seem to apply, though. Forty years on motorcycles and a thirteen-year gap have either eroded my two-wheel skills drastically, or there's not a lot of cross-over between motorcycles and bicycles. I could sit through a red light on a motorcycle without putting my feet down; I still haven't mastered starting off with the recumbent without dabbing a foot to the ground to keep from falling over.

If I'd realized I'd have to learn how to ride all over again, I would have welded up a Python instead of buying the ReBike.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
There is surprisingly more cross over with motorcycles than you might think. In difficult conditions it will be more stable with a little power on. You can keep the pedal power going around curves as there's no risk of the pedal striking the road. The tighter the curve, the more you need to keep gentle pedalling, to the extent that a touch of rear brake helps to keep the frame and transmission taut particularly in tight turns or u turns. It helps to dispel that feeling that the bike is falling into the turn, and takes away that urge to put a foot down. Even coming to a standstill, if you pedal gently against rear brake pressure, you can delay the moment of putting your foot down, even approach traffic lights so slowly in the last few feet that you can get rolling again if they change, without stopping. It's practice and building confidence that gets you there.

I think we've all been there, with that feeling of being 4 years old again, wondering why your reactions that served you well on a bike all your life have suddenly become suspect. I posted my early experiences on this forum under "confessions of a recumbent virgin" if it's of any interest just so you realize that I was left feeling a bozo too when I first started. You will probably just need to type "confessions" into search.

I didn't suddenly appear on earth in a cloud of glory as a fully fledged recumbentist replete with beard, sandals, shades, dodgy headgear and a laid back attitude (though it's possible some of these were present beforehand) but had to work at it. Looking back, I never thought, "this isn't for me" but always believed that I could master this beast eventually, despite various setbacks. I changed and adapted the bike over the last four years bit by bit until now, after riding one of my other bikes for a while, when I come back to it, everything feels like home. All the controls just fall into my hands, the seat is so comfortable, everything is so familiar. It's still just a bike, but somehow more than a bike.

Last edited:

Conrad_K

the emphasis is shifting towards trikes.

I think some of that is demographics. Half a century ago, most kids learned how to ride a bicycle, mostly by falling down a lot. By the beginning of the 21st century, not many kids did that any more. Those kids are adults now, and a trike of some sort looks a lot less intimidating than a bicycle. Adults tend not to want to fall down, even when they're paying instructors at the dojo to show them how.

Another thing would be cost. Trikes used to cost a lot more than bikes, on the average. But now a "nice" bike can cost over 3,000 pounds, euros, or dollars (*), and you can get a nice trike for that.

*) based on recent sticker shock from walking into the local bicycle emporium...

Top Bottom