An N+1 question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helidoc

Hi,

I am currently riding a road bike, a Mekk Poggio 2G that I got on the CTW scheme last summer. It is mainly used for a 28 mile round trip commute a couple of days a week with some fitness riding on top. Now that the weather is better I am doing 80-100 miles a week and loving it.

As my CTW scheme is almost over, I am looking at N+1 acquisition options, but am a bit confused.

1. A winter bike
My LBS sells the Focus Mares AX 3.0 for this purpose. Although a cyclocross bike it is very road like, although with wider tyres, mini-V brakes, a 28T rear cog, and will take mudguards and a rack. My LBS sells a lot of these to roadies who want a winterised bike. The only issue is that according to Cyclemeter, I only rode 250 miles from December to March. I don't mind getting the Mekk dirty as I can always clean it, but snow, ice, wind rain etc was a disincentive to riding, and I am not sure a different bike would have made me ride any more. I suppose it could be used for the odd bit of weekend touring, C2C etc. If I got one then it wouldn't take the place of my Mekk in the warmer months, and in the winter it might be hard to justify on the limited miles

2. A mountain bike
I have lusted over the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1, as there is a store fairly close to me. Being honest with myself, this is not going to be used for hardcore off roading, as I am in my mid 40s, and that just isn't me. I could use it with slicks and crud catcher guards as a winter bike, although it isn't really the best of choices. It could be a summer utility bike, but I already have a trusty 5 year old Ridgeback Motion that fits this purpose. The Rockrider doesn't have rack mounts so C2C type weekends would be a bit of a fudge. I suppose there are MTB options that would take proper rack and guards. The other issue that my LBS only sells Road and Urban (Hybrid) bikes, they don't sell MTB at all, and I really like my LBS

What would you advise? Is there an option I should consider?

Cheers,

David

Peteaud

Veteran
I have a Trek 7500 hybrid (wait for the usual silly hybrid arguments to start) but for me it is all bike for all jobs.

Winter has the 38 tyres on and if i want i put the thinner summer touring tyres on i can, and have

Front forks are a bit heavy but bridle paths etc are no issue.
Hydraulic brakes are great in the wet and winter.

Yes its quite heavy and a lot slower than my road bike, but if i had to have only the one i would keep the hybrid.

Maybe have a look at something like that???

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My wife too, has the Trek 7500 as N+1, which she has toured on with luggage, has used for light off road ( we did two canal path tours last year) and she used it all winter as a cross trainer bike for her Marathon trianing. It is a good bit of kit. She too bought in the CTW shceme, with some extras for well under budget.

So if you want a good all rounder as your N+1 this could serve you well. Another brand to consider would be the Whyte range of hybrids, very nice bikes within the CTW budget.

A hybrid will serve you well as a winter bike, and a fair weather do it all bike.

OP
OP
Helidoc

Helidoc

Thanks

I do have a hybrid already, although an inexpensive one. It is a totally decent utility bike; the V brakes work well, and it is on sensible 38mm tyres. I like hybrids, but I am a bit cold on getting another just now. I wold also like to stick with my LBS where possible, so that will limit my choices to Focus and Felt, although that is fine by me. It is only an MTB choice that would force me elsewhere, as they don't sell them

zizou

Veteran
A cyclocross bike would be able to cope with the sort of 'mild' off roading you would likely be doing. They are versatile bikes

Kies

have you thought about not buying a bike at all?
you say you don't do a lot of riding/commuting in the winter months anyway, so why bike a bike, why not buy a turbo and put your summer bike on it - spin happily away at home with the TV on.
it doesn't beat the joys of being out and riding, but i'm like you in that between Jan - March - i only ride on the weekend IF it's not raining, AND the wind is less than 10MPH.
the other option would be to buy the focus and change tyres for summer/winter riding - very versatile bike imo

VamP

Banned
N + 2?

The usual answer is yes.

Get one or the other but go off-road. I'm in my mid forties, and love brain out off road.

Top Bottom