An open letter to the Puncture Fairys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lanzecki

Über Member
Dear PF's.

As we all know cyclists get punctures, we accept this as part of our lifestyle. To be honest I quite enjoy the process of changing tyres and tubes more so then the black art known as gear tuning AkA "It's clacking again!".

I regularly leave packages for you at the bottom of the garden near the fairy fort on my land, although let me hasten to add I don't consider that I own it, I just maintain it for fairy's of all kinds.

And you have been good to me over the years, I've often replaced tubes and tyres way before their time without you feeling a need to visit. I've had maybe 2 true punctures in the last few years. Taking Irish roads into account this is a great record. I recognise that the tyres of my children's bikes are fair game. Feel free to visit them for they are disbelievers.

I know I'm due a few punctures. It's like aircraft crashes, statistically we are due a big one.

But, can you explain why you've felt the need to visit my 2 bikes 4 times in less then 2 weeks? And can you explain the recent issue with my bikes rear tyre where it deflates overnight only to be fine the next night after re-inflation?

Have I not honoured you as much as everyone else? Have I offended you? I said the cyclists prayer when I replaced my tyres and tubes in the autumn, you will note I replace the tyres with the same make and model because they seemed to please you so much that you never felt the need to leave me a present.

And now I've had 4 punctures, one snake bite (Never before in all my years) and a random flat that comes and goes but isn't a puncure. Please tell me what I've done to offend you.

I know I've replaced all the tubes in the last week, and you seem appeased by this attempt at honouring you, but I lie in bed at night worrying that I'll get a visit on the next group ride I join.

Please advise

Faithfully

Simon.

^_^:biggrin::laugh:

I feel your pain, or more precisely my OH does. Our New Year's Eve ride was plagued with them after a year of very few visits. Up until NYE ride, we had only had 3 visits in the year between 6 bikes and one of those was a valve core being ripped out by a dodgy pump!

On the now infamous (in this household) ride, we started the day with 2 visits (one each). Soon into the ride (less than 2 miles) my OH suffered 2 more visits on a rather muddy bridlepath. Further into the ride, I picked up a very slow visit which was not to make its presence known until 2 days later. A little further in my OH suffered another catastrophic visitation which resulted in me going home alone to collect the car... by the time we were done the count between the 2 bikes was 8... 6 to my OH and 2 to me.... and every single one was a new visit, not a single one was a 'repeat offender'... Every single visit was located to be a hawthorn thorn...

:pump:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Very unusually I have also had the joys of roadside tube changing on Friday (thorn sneaked in to the side of the puncture protection belt) and today (small piece of glass which got through the puncture protection belt). The roads are very mucky and wet !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The fairy was kind to me last year ... however I did visit the family fairy fort during the year so perhaps that kept them happy.

At the moment I think it is the rain fairy that is upsetting the important fairy ..... perhaps when the weather settles it will get better.

Steve Saunders

Could the deflation overnight be caused by a removable valve core that's ever so slightly loose? I've had that phantom type puncture a couple of times till I clocked what was happening ... when the valve was submerged in water I would see a small bubble appear every 5-10 seconds. Not a quick release of air by any means, but if left overnight or for a day or two it's more than enough to make the tyre appear to be flat.

Top Bottom