An update on my poorly car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I posted a while ago about the amber engine management light being permanently on.
I did as suggested and gave it a blast.....no success.
So, in the garage it went.
Turns out to be what is called an 'oxygen sensor' which apparently checks a variety of things as the engine is firing.
They tried cleaning everything out to no avail so its in today having a new sensor fitted.
Lets hope this does the trick.

tyred

Legendary Member
I hope it works for you.

My Skoda is still poorly and still has an engine management light and no power despite the attentions of three different mechanics and a lot of things being replaced. I had to borrow my Mum's car yesterday to drive to my hospital appointment. 😠

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
That is a s
I hope it works for you.

My Skoda is still poorly and still has an engine management light and no power despite the attentions of three different mechanics and a lot of things being replaced. I had to borrow my Mum's car yesterday to drive to my hospital appointment. 😠

That is a shame.
MrsD had a car once where the management light was always coming on and even the main dealer couldn't sort it.
Eventually we had to px it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oops.....spoke too soon:sad:.
Just had the dreaded phone call. Front end of the exhaust has rotted and has to be replaced. Thats an extra 185 quid.

We ended up having to replace two oxygen sensors on the Aygo as well as the exhaust - the exhaust was crusty when we bought the car, but the sensors wouldn't budge. What's usually a cheap job soon added up with sensors being £100 each !

CXRAndy

Guru
When my daughter had a little Polo, it would display check engine light. I diagnosed it with the Torque app and Bluetooth dongle. I could see the waveform was very slow to respond and trip the computer into saying there was a fault. A year later the second o2 sensor after the catalytic convertor failed. The difference in price was £15 to £120 for each sensor. BUT I didnt pay for any garage labour, so was ahead, and I now had a cheap diag tool too

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They don’t know what a failed sensor is down here, certainly not enough to keep a car off the road. The annual ‘road worthiness check‘ is a joke.

gbb

Legendary Member
Oops.....spoke too soon:sad:.
Just had the dreaded phone call. Front end of the exhaust has rotted and has to be replaced. Thats an extra 185 quid.

Probably why the sensor flagged up a problem, it's getting erroneous readings, extra air coming in. The ecu will try to correct up to a degree but then flag up once a particular point is reached.

gbb

Legendary Member
That is a s

That is a shame.
MrsD had a car once where the management light was always coming on and even the main dealer couldn't sort it.
Eventually we had to px it.

It happens sometimes. My old Vectra SRI would throw a management light occasionally. Had it read once, replaced the throttle body (£300), didn't solve it, carried on as it drove normally. One MOT I mentioned it to the tester....yeah, had the same car, same problem, never did find out what was wrong, drove normally so didn't worry.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The O2 sensor measures the constituents of the exhaust gas and is part of a feedback loop to the ECU that controls / trims fuelling. If it fails the ECU will go into "limp mode" where it will, in the absence of any info from the O2 sensor over-fuel in order to avoid the potential for an overly-lean mixture causing engine damage (excessive combustion temperatures and bits melting).

Whether you notice it or not now all's as it should be you should see improved economy.. while running in an over-fuelled state for prolonged periods can knacker your cat too; so you definitely did the right thing getting it sorted sooner rather than later :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom